Thread: Next build Y’all

Next build Y’all

I have a 260, 6.5 brm, 22-250, .308. Win among others.
    I have a wide variety of 6.5 and 30 cal bullets. The 308 is a Savage “Tactic” least that is what is inscribed on the bolt. I am thinking of converting to a custom stock and barrel. Which should I go with 6.5x47 or 6 br?
    I am basically a short range paper puncher. I don’t hunt but tactical considerations pop up as I think about a possible future need. I have both 30.06 and 45-70 if ever we are invaded by monsters. So for under 300 yard accuracy 6.5 or 6? My main concern is simply accuracy.

Basic Member
    I ordered a Criterion 28" 6mm BR barrel from Northland Shooters Supply. It will be a while before I receive it. Everything I read says it is an inherently accurate round and has excellent accuracy at 300 yards. I'm gonna give it a try.

No experience with the 6.5X47, but the 28" 6.5 Creedmoor Shilen barrel I shoot is very accurate. I've only shot at about 125 yards. Sadly, I don't have places I can shoot further close to me.

Let me know how it shoots. I am like you as I have 100 yard range on my property but I can go 400 with neighbors permission. I have read and read some more. Not a lot of difference in 260, 6.5x47 and 6.5 creed. All my accurate centerfire rifles are Savage. I replaced a savage barrel on a 22-250 with a Shilen and can get in the .2s with 77 SMKs. I have a 260 LRP I am trying to get consistently below.5 moa. If not then a barrel replacement. But my .308 stock savage shoots around 1.0 moa- I still have some load development to try since I learned to make precision handloads. It will likely do better with load development and a replacement stock but if It doesn’t get less than .5 consistently I am looking at rebarreling. The 6 br is highly regarded and with a 1:8 twist it would fall between the 22-250 and the 260 with 105 grainers. I would be better off to go with another 260 as far as components than the 6.5 Lapua or creed. So I am leaning towards the 6 br and a stock.
    Likely will go with Northland as well. Please let me know how your 6 turns out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I ordered a Criterion 28" 6mm BR barrel from Northland Shooters Supply. It will be a while before I receive it. Everything I read says it is an inherently accurate round and has excellent accuracy at 300 yards. I'm gonna give it a try.

No experience with the 6.5X47, but the 28" 6.5 Creedmoor Shilen barrel I shoot is very accurate. I've only shot at about 125 yards. Sadly, I don't have places I can shoot further close to me.

Basic Member
    Sniper Hide podcast just did an episode on Load Development and they specifically mention 6mm BR as the most accurate cartridge. I’m no expert, but food for thought.

Basic Member
    My 2 most accurate rifles are my 6.5 Creedmoor and 22-250. I always thought that it wouldn't be worth it to fill in the hole between them just for the sake of having something in between. If you have a 308 that only shoots 1MOA, I think that would be my best candidate for another 308 barrel... or a 300 WSM.

Basic Member
    Since you already have a 7mm then if it were me I'd go with 6BR. Supposed to be extremely accurate at the short ranges and even less recoil than 6.5's.

I chose .223 as brass is readily available and it is fairly accurate. I am not a good enough shooter to do better than .5MOA so the .223 is perfect for me. I have managed some targets at 300yd that are less than .5MOA (including a 12rnd group at that range). It is also really low on recoil especially since I replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd's (this is an Axis heavy barrel, Walmart special).

If I ever wear out the barrel on my .308 BVSS I will probably go with a 260Rem (since I already have a ton of .308 brass) for my longer range rifle.

Basic Member
    I must have missed him saying he already had 7mm.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megastink View Post
    Sniper Hide podcast just did an episode on Load Development and they specifically mention 6mm BR as the most accurate cartridge. I’m no expert, but food for thought.
    Inheritant accuracy in a cartridge is a myth. It is the entire platform a bullet is launched from which yields accuracy. All true competitive shooters know this. One reason the 6mm are said to have good “inherant” accuracy is simply because they tend to have very low recoil allowing shooters to shoot them well. in the long range hunting and competition world, no one really says one cartridge is more accurate than another. Given a good barrel, rifle, hand loads a so called “in accurate” cartridge like a 3006 can shoot in the .1-.3Moa range and this has been proven time and time again. Just my two cents. For more info, head over to the long range hunting forum. Many guys over there shooting competition and critters at extreme ranges where sub .5MOA is an absolute MUST.

Basic Member
    Rmkey,

It will be a while before I have the barrel. I wanted the muzzle threaded for a suppressor. NSS does not thread them and does not stock any threaded. My first barrel, was shipped from NSS back to Shilen for threading and that cost extra for shipping. So, long story short, I thought I would try an MTU contour Criterion barrel. They will thread it there and I assume it will go to NSS when he has his next order from Criterion come in. He will then ship all my stuff to me at that time. Estimated wait is 10 weeks. I can certainly follow up, but you may get too antsy to wait on my findings.

Not at all. I still have development for the260 and I need money for the Savage build not to mention components! I have decided to go with
    6br likely Shilen. Are you willing to go through the ATF hoopla for the suppressor? I did it once for a machine gun but never again. I’m a bit confused on dies for the 6 br. Seems like one needs a set of Redding dies and a Harrell sizing die matched to the fired casing. What do you plan to use. They said send them a 6br brass fired three times in your chamber and they will send you a match sizing die to your chamber. How is that possible you will have to reload it to fire it! I guess they mean for you to get a full set of Redding dies first and then send them the case after 3 firings? What are your plans? By the way my email is rmkeyjr@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Rmkey,

It will be a while before I have the barrel. I wanted the muzzle threaded for a suppressor. NSS does not thread them and does not stock any threaded. My first barrel, was shipped from NSS back to Shilen for threading and that cost extra for shipping. So, long story short, I thought I would try an MTU contour Criterion barrel. They will thread it there and I assume it will go to NSS when he has his next order from Criterion come in. He will then ship all my stuff to me at that time. Estimated wait is 10 weeks. I can certainly follow up, but you may get too antsy to wait on my findings.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmkey View Post
    Not at all. I still have development for the260 and I need money for the Savage build not to mention components! I have decided to go with
    6br likely Shilen. Are you willing to go through the ATF hoopla for the suppressor? I did it once for a machine gun but never again. I’m a bit confused on dies for the 6 br. Seems like one needs a set of Redding dies and a Harrell sizing die matched to the fired casing. What do you plan to use. They said send them a 6br brass fired three times in your chamber and they will send you a match sizing die to your chamber. How is that possible you will have to reload it to fire it! I guess they mean for you to get a full set of Redding dies first and then send them the case after 3 firings? What are your plans? By the way my email is rmkeyjr@live.com
    I'm gathering stuff together as well. I found a Savage 6mm BR Norma magazine on eBay. $38.00 shipped I think. I hope it has enough free space to load to the lands as it looks short with the spacer, but we shall see. The dies. Yeah, I was gonna purchase a Forster full length die and load them three times and send off to Harrell's. I don't own any Forster dies, just what I decided to buy. I have bought a LE Wilson Micrometer seater. I happen to have an arbor press, which can be used with the seater. I've never used a seater like that, but they say it is the most accurate way to seat bullets.

Suppressors are not that hard to purchase now. Rule changes have made it relatively simpler than when I bought my first one. The most aggravating thing is going to get your fingerprints. I have mine at the Morgan County Sheriff's office now. They are on file and digital. So, after you do it once, you can just go back with the cards and ask them to run them through the printer and you can avoid all the fingerprint procedure like other places that still use ink.

But yeah, it is a bigger pain than it should be for a suppressor, but it is relatively simple now. I think they should be deregulated. The sheriff used to have to sign the form. They eliminated that and you just have to send the sheriff a copy of it. The wait is the worst part, which can be 3 months to a year. But, it is nice to shoot with one. I have two 30 caliber suppressors and one .22 caliber. Shooting supersonic is still loud and still not hearing safe, but I like it so much better with a suppressor, even when I wear ear plugs. I will be happy to tell you what I know. I won't shoot without one if I can help it.

I would like a full auto rifle, but I will never own one due to the cost now.

On Shilen, I really debated whether I should have ordered another Shilen instead of the Criterion. But Criterion has the MTU contour I wanted and Shilen does not. People speak highly of them here, so I decided to try them. But, my 6.5 Creedmoor shoots awesome with the Shilen barrel. I really cannot see how I will shoot better with the 6mm BR. That's all part of the fun I suppose.

Basic Member
    338 Norma Magnum on a Mausingfield action
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Wow. Didn’t know they lightened up on suppressors. I use hearing protection but I have hearing loss in left ear. Some countries require suppression. Because of Hollywood people think they are silent and bad guys ( gun owners) can murder in total silence! Ever heard silencers (mufflers) on a Mustang? Not silent. It’s great you have them as I feel for every poor devil within a half mile when I shoot! We are on the same page with the BR. The only reason I want Shilen is that I have two and both are fantastic. I am sure Criterion is also. Actually I had a wild notion for a compact rifle and ordered a 17” 30-30 barrel from eabco for my Encore and the little beast shoots 0.65 moa and that with a break action, no trigger job or other enhancements. 168 SMKs. I wish you well on your build and latter this year I will follow suit!

RMKEY
    if you need any load development info for your 6 BR send me a PM on AS
    my model 12 with Criterion 8 twist barrel routinely puts 5 rounds under 1 inch at 550 yards.