Thread: stuck case

stuck case

I was shooting my new to me lrpv 223 this morning. got it sighted in using factory lapua ammo with no issues . I chambered a reload to shoot and tried to eject the spent case , but could not get the bolt to pull back. the bolt lifts fine, just can't get the bolt to move rearward. I have shot this load many times out of other rifles with no issues and am not at max, but I will double check.

What can I do to get this case out ?

Basic Member
    Dowel or cleaning rod down the barrel. Smaller that a 22 bullet so it fits in the case neck. It will contact the case head by the primer.
    Then a tap to the end of the rod should free it. Just don’t hook the case neck and hit that. Could use a rubber mallet on the bolt handle as well but I’m not a fan of hitting harder with my hand on that. Afraid to damage anything or ripping the case head off

An old rod or a tip on it will keep you from messing your good rod up. Don’t want to ding the end or you won’t be able to thread jags/brushes into it

also be patient and attentive to detail when going in from the muzzle end. You don’t want to damage the crown

thanks , I will try that. I just tapped the bolt with a mallet, and it opened and I got the case out. I am not sure what happened but I will not shoot those again. I believe the brass was a tad tight. I will start with resized or at the very least bump the shoulder back a few thousands. Thank you very much !

Basic Member
    Not a problem. The mallet is the safest way to open the bolt in terms of the possibility of damage to the barrel. And it goes without saying but never unload a loaded round with a rod down the barrel

Basic Member
    Check shoulder datum length with a comparator with your fired brass, sized brass, and factory to give you an idea of what's going on.
    Rifle should have a SAAMI spec chamber and headspace, so your handload shouldn't have been a problem unless your die wasn't screwed down to make tight contact on the shellplate.
    If not properly sized, it should have caused resistance when closing the bolt on the round before firing.

Depending what you find, you can use a sized case to set your headspace to that of your rifle if you have the necessary tools.

I checked the shoulder to base length and it was good. The issue was the case length. seems like this lrpv has a shorter length than my other 223 rifles. Thank you fellas !!

Team Savage
    If the cartridge went into the gun and the bolt closed without undue pressure, the fired case should come out since the brass usually shrinks a bit on firing. UNLESS.... you have pressure and the web area is expanding. How many reloads on the brass and were any of them HOT. Get out the miks and do some measuring, if the web isn't springing back, you have pressure.

^ What bsekf said only use mic's rather than mik's. Trim brass to length. Fix Primary extraction. Chive on.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    I checked the shoulder to base length and it was good. The issue was the case length. seems like this lrpv has a shorter length than my other 223 rifles. Thank you fellas !!
    What do you mean, "shorter length than your other rifles"?

Since it chambers factory ammunition, how can this be?

Team Savage
    Robinhood.

I have lost my spell check!!!!!! Wait a minute.....mic's isn't a word either!!!!! Are you AKA Miss Johnson, my 8th grade English teacher?

Merry Christmas

Bill

Just because a given load is good/safe in one rifle doesn't mean it will be in another. Slight difference in chambers and/or land/groove diameters can lead to vastly different pressure curves.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain