Thread: 110 build

Basic Member

110 build

So I’m in the planning stages of building a 6.5 PRC. I have not decided if I’m going to build it on a long action or a short action yet. I’d like to build it off of a 110 7mm mag or 300 WM because they are a dime a dozen and could pick up the rifle for about $250 bucks

Question I have is when ordering a barrel they ask if I want it cut at a standard, large, or target. I’m assuming there magnum cartridges (post 2002) are going to be the large threading??? Or are most rifles the standard? Just don’t want to order a barrel that I can’t find a doner gun for

Thanks for the long read

Colton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The barrel shank issue can be understood better by going to the home section on this site.. Then go to savage FAQ(frequently asked questions). Then go to page 4 and it will describe barrel shank issue for you. You can identify which barrel shank by external appearence of the barrel nut and barrel itself.

Basic Member
    A 7mm Rem Mag is just a standard small shank. If that is what you plan to use, then you just need to order a barrel in a small shank also. The large shank is only for target actions and short magnums. I know the 6.5 PRC is a short magnum, but If you call a barrel seller, they should be able to tell you if you need a large shank. My brother-in-law called Northern shooters supply asking about a short mag in a shilen barrel and they told him that savage is the only company that uses a large shank for the short magnums and he wouldn't have a problem with one in a small shank. I would take his advice, but this is your call not mine.

Basic Member
    I think I got it figured out. It comes down to if I want to run a long action or a short action. Short with a factory mag bolt head will be a large and a long action will be a small. I ordered the barrel in a small shank last night. Still early enough to change it but I think I’m gonna go the long action route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk