Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Hunters will rarely use their brass enough to make brass harden and then will buy new brass.
I'm 68 and have been reloading for over 47 years and I do not anneal or shoot in competition.

Two weeks ago I went to resize some well used Federal 30-30 cases I bought in 1982 and the necks started to crack.

The average deer in Pennsylvania is shot at 40 yards and when you are standing on your hind legs shooting at a running deer neck tension is the last thing on your mind.

I also prefer to go to the range when no one else is there, that way when I leave the range I know I was the best shot that day.

And at the Whidden die website they sell expander kits with five expanders from bullet diameter to .004 under bullet diameter, to control neck tension.

I do not need the Whidden expander kit for my 30-30 because after the necks crack on my 37 year old 30-30 cases I just buy new brass.

The last time I shot at a deer it was going full warp speed across a open field at over 100 yards.

All the bullets kicked up dirt behind the running deer so I guess the hard brass in my case necks gripped the bullet too tight and slowed them down.