Thread: Savage LRPV in 223

Basic Member

Savage LRPV in 223

i picked up a new Savage LRPV 223 in a 7 twist, after shooting mostly model 12 in the bvss wood stocks, i notice with this HS precision stock when i dry fire it it has a hollow sound, not saying this has anything to do with accuracy, still trying different loads, most pm i got about good loads were the 80.5 Bergers or the 80 SMK's the rifle is a little finicky at the bench sometimes i get get good groups and then lousy groups, i am wondering is there any ways to make this a denser stock to make it a similar feeling to a wood stock, i was thinking of trying to put some soft and pliable type of putty in the bottom of the v in the bedding block. seems like the recoil pad is glued on and if i could get it off might try some type of sound deading stuff in there. has anyone tried anything with this stock or just let it be

chet

Basic Member
    I have three HS Precision stocks. I cannot say I have noticed the hollow sound on any of them. From what I have read the buttstock section is hollow and the buttpad is glued on. HS Precision recommends 65 inch lbs of torque on the action screws. I usually stop at 60 inch lbs as 65 inch lbs seemed like overkill to me when I tightened them down to that, and I was worried about stripping the screw heads mostly. Also, look at the tang of the stock. I have 2 HS Precision stocks I bought from Stockys Stocks that are floated on the rear tang and I can slide a dollar bill underneath. One of the three, that I bought as a complete rifle, is not floated at the tang. I do not have a rifle in that one at the moment, but have contemplated sanding out the tang area to make it float or bedding the action block so it will float. I haven't made up my mind. I have read a non-floating tang can lead to erratic groups.

Basic Member
    I've never checked the tang area of my BVSS. Will have to check that out tomorrow.

I can’t speak to the density of the stock but my LPVR 223 is good for 1/3 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. Hornady 75gr BTHP with 23.8gr or so Varget. 24gr chronographs at 2900 fps or so out of the 26 inch barrel.

Basic Member
    Interesting. I use 23.6gn Varget with 77gn Sierra MK's. 25.5gn with 69gn SMK's. The Axis only has a 24in barrel. I've used Hornady 75gn ELDM but for some reason they seem to drift more in wind than the MK's. Haven't figured that part out as they should perform almost the same. I use Remington BR primers.

I have also found that the groups are not affected much by several tenths of a grain of powder. And I use mixed brass, including military, just whatever I pick up off the range. If I were chasing that last 1/4MOA I would probably have to pay more attention to those details. But, consistent less than MOA groups with some 5round bug holes are good enough for me. I know from looking through the scope that I cannot hold less than 1/2 MOA consistently.

I use CCI BR4 primers and have found differences in brass and powder loading of major changes (e.g. 0.4 - 0.6gr). My smallest MOA and most consistent groups are with Hornady brass. So far, I am really impressed with my rifle. It’s basically straight out of the box as Savage produced it and I’m getting consistent 1/3 MOA groups when I focus...