Thread: 7 mm rem mag to 25.06 or 270

7 mm rem mag to 25.06 or 270

Hi
    is it possible to rebuild a 7 mm rem mag to 25.06 or 270 win. thinking chance the barrel ?

Hoholt

Yes, you will have to change the out the magnum bolt and replace it with a standard bolt. I would have to double check you may have to change the firing pin do to it’s length.
    If I missed anything in the process there is a lot of good people, and they help us.

Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Basic Member
    Yes, change the bolt head to an ‘06 size. I am not aware of a need to change the firing pin due to length but there are two different diameters but if your existing pin diameter and the replacement bolt head’s firing pin hole agree you are good to go as far as I understand them. You can take the time to check the firing pin protrusion if you care to.

Three44s

Basic Member
    Why would you want to down grade ??

Basic Member
    It is possible. 35WheelenShooter is correct, check the firing pin length. The lugs on the bolt head of my 300WM where thicker than the standard .473 bolt head. I found a PTG bolt head with the magnum lug size and .473 face.

Basic Member
    I just changed a 7mm RM to a 7x57 a couple months ago.
    I changed the bolthead.
    The firing pin was the same.
    I changed the magazine box and follower.

It all works fine when feeding from the internal box magazine.

I loaded using Graf brass and I was 1 grain of powder under the Hornady book's max for H-4350 and a 162 SST. I was actually surprised that I pulled 2650 fps so far under the max load.
    It cost me $55 to change out the magazine box, follower, bolthead, ejector and ejector spring, ball, retaining pin, extractor and extractor spring. all from Savage and Midway.

Basic Member
    i did this vaery change myself. Pulled the barrel down. Changed the bolt head to a 06 size. Remounted my 25-06 barrel with headspace checked. No changes to magazine, firing pin, and remount the scope and off to the range.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoholt View Post
    Hi
    is it possible to rebuild a 7 mm rem mag to 25.06 or 270 win. thinking chance the barrel ?

Hoholt
    It’s funny, I’m about to change my .270 111 into a 7mm rem Mag!!! We should swap parts and make both out builds a lot easier!