Thread: load work up for 110 in 300win mag

Basic Member

load work up for 110 in 300win mag

I have tried to look back , but didn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I am going to start working up a hunting round for my 110.. I want to shoot the nosler 200gr acubonds, but don’t really have an idea for powder. It needs to be temp stable, so I am thinking H1000, H 4831 or I think IMR 7977? Also I here some people get better accuracy with just large rifle primers instead of the magnums? Thanks for any help..

Basic Member
    I have always gotten better groups with large rifle primers in my 7mm Rem Mag rather than Mag primers.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member
    I run 63 gr H4350/CCI 250/Hornady ELDX/Nosler Brass

6 different charges at .030” off the lands. All but one group shot 3 rounds at 1/2 MOA or better at 300 Yards. Other was .7 ish.

Savage 110 FCP HS

Basic Member
    Thank you

+1 on the H1000 and non mag primers

Basic Member
    I dont know , but maybe this should be a separate subject , but I took a deprimed case drilled out the primer pocket and ever so lightly squeezed the neck down just enough to securely hold the bullet. dropped it in and closed the bolt down did it four times and came up with consistent readings of 3.75".. my problem is the magazine will max out at 3.5". this is a hunting load but still seems like .25" is a big jump? another thought is that if I seat the 200 gr bullet that far out am I going to see a pressure drop? specs call for COAL to be 3.34" on the 200gr. just getting into hand loading and some of this is a little confusing.. thanks for the input

Basic Member
    I haven’t looked at the specs in a book regarding OAL since I started reloading. At least for bolt guns. I use a hornady OAL tool to measure where the bullet touches the lands. For hornady I seat .020 off the lands. Haven’t had trouble finding a good shooting load that far off. I ran .030 on this 300 due to the fact they would not fit in the mag at .020 off.

If your OAL your measuring is more than the suggested OAL in the book then it will be a good starting place. Best to have a tool to measure correctly tho. Hornady bullets usually don’t mind the jump.

As you approach the lands the pressure will increase. As you seat deeper in the case you chew up your case capacity. I would be more concerned with pressures approaching the lands.

My experience has been hornady shooting best at least .020 off lands. Sierra .010-.020 off. Berger I seat about the same as Sierra. A lot of where I start depends on bullet design.

Basic Member
    I have a recommendation for anyone wanting to load the most accurate cartridges for their rifle. a book called "Metallic Cartridge Handloading: Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge" by Mic McPherson. Extremely detailed on what needs to be done to obtain the most accurate loads for your particular rifle. I does not any load data, but does spell out in detail what needs to be done to get a load to the accuracy level you want. I'm currently using it to get an acceptably accurate load for my wife's 110 Storm in 30-06 and once I finish that I'll be doing the same for my 110 Storm in 300WM. I'm somewhat stymied right now as our club range (about 4 miles from home) is currently closed due to court order caused by political infighting within the club. The next closest range is about 25 miles away down a mountain. I highly recommend the book to anyone wanting gain the most accuracy from their rifle, available on Amazon for less than $20, written in 2013 so information is only slightly dated. I have no financial interest in the book, publisher or anyone involved in the publication.

Mike

Basic Member
    Haf is correct, the magazine is the controlling factor if you want to use it and anything else is moot.
    And so long as it shoots well at that length be happy.
    You could also try a lighter bullet to get closer, since the bullet itself would be shorter.
    Yes the BC number on the box wont be as good, but the increase in velocity would offset that, at least to a point further than you would be apt to shoot.