Thread: 6.5 grendel

6.5 grendel

I am interested in building a 6.5 grendel rifle on a model 10 action and would appreciate input on what bolt head and magazine follower I would need for this project. Also ideas on lightweight quality stocks would be great.
    Thanks

Welcome,

It's based on the .220 Russian.

Closest Savage chambering would be the .22-250

I just put a Boyd's Featherweight on my M11. Very pleased with it.

Attachment 5507
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

That's a great looking combination. I may have a 223 donor action, not dbm. I'm concerned about the oal, bolt head and magazine follower. What did you have to do to yours?

Mine's a .260 Rem, unaltered. I just restocked it.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Youll need a 6ppc bolt head which has a boltface to accomidate the 0.443" (iirc) rim.

Pacific tool and gauge sells them.

CDI precision here in SRQ can definitely help with bottom metal. Theyll be getting my savage 110 once i have the PacNor 300PRC barrel in and headspaced.

The grendel will be fun when operated at 60,000 psi!!

Team Savage
    Why not a 6.5X47L? Uses a regular 308 (.473) bolt face and great brass available.

Basic Member
    Get all the parts for a 7.62x39 and you will be good. The mag on a Howa mini is the same for the Grendel and 7.62x39 so you should have reliable feeding.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going the grendel route primarily to build an ultra light hunting rifle with low recoil for the kids. Does anyone know a source for a non dbm follower? All other supply issues have been resolved so far.
    Thanks!

Basic Member
    I love my savages.......but for a hunting accuracy gun I would probably hit the E Z button and get the Howa. If you want a nice custom lapped barrel, I'd go savage.

Basic Member
    Consider a CZ too. I have the Howa Mini in 7.62x39 and the stock feels like an injection molded 4x4 chunk of lumber. A new stock or reshapped one is a good idea.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

I’m building a Grendel myself but mine is of the ar variety. Anyone have ammo recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I’m building a Grendel myself but mine is of the ar variety. Anyone have ammo recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hornady black box shot well in my AR Grendel.

Team Savage
    I have a Howa Mini in both 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel. I've owned a Savage scout rifle chambered in 7.62x39 and am about to convert a second one to 6.5 Grendel.

Can anyone suggest a source for the barrel? I'd like to get it in matte black to match my model 10 action.

Hoping the 6.5 Grendel barrel will be plug and play with the 7.62x39 scout rifle.

As for ammo, the Hornady 123 SST's shot well in my Howa, but I'm handloading with 130's now over LeverEvolution powder with better results. Anyone loading heavy bullets (123+) in the 6.5 Grendel owes it to themselves to try LVR powder.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm going the grendel route primarily to build an ultra light hunting rifle with low recoil for the kids. Does anyone know a source for a non dbm follower? All other supply issues have been resolved so far.
    Thanks!
    Andy, IME the 7.62x39 is a great youth and new shooter hunting caliber, and the 6.5 Grendel is just as good. For young and new hunters, either will do just as well as the other since those aren't shooters who are going to be taking 200+ yard shots anyway. I'm converting my 7.62x39 to 6.5 Grendel mainly because it adds 100 yards of effective hunting range, with all the same benefits as the 7.62x39 except perhaps ammo availability. But since I roll my own, I'm not worried about that.

If I had to keep just one to have around for youth and new shooters/hunters, it would be the 7.62x39. Reason being, I can get loads of accurate training ammo that they can run all day long at the range, for $5.49/box, and I can find ammo for it at any Wal-Mart. Plus it's more than enough for deer/pigs at comfortable distances for those shooters.

Team Savage
    Ordered a Shaw barrel. I'll post results once I get 'er built and shot.