Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My opinion on a Barrel Vise VS Action Wrench

Following

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have never used a barrel vise on any Savage style barrel swap,I only use an action vise,nut wrench,and a 4lb dead blow hammer. I don't install the action vise on the action until the barrel/barrel nut is screwed on the action,and the head space is set with the barrel nut finger tight. I wrap a couple layers of blue painters tape around the action before I put it in the action vise,and then tighten the action vise bolts down TIGHT.

If you tighten the action wrench bolts down correctly,the barrel cannot move at all when you tighten the barrel nut. I've done a couple dozen barrel swaps/installs over the years,and have never had any head space issues just using an action wrench to do it. If your barrel can still turn with an action wrench installed on the action,you need to tighten the bolts on the action wrench more!

Basic Member
    Txhillbilly,
    Having observed exactly what are describing will lead me to try what you are doing. Having noticed if I tighten my action wrench (vice) too much I cannot freely spin the barrel when setting headspace. The extra torque must deform the reciever somewhat. That being said I always loosen it at that point. If tightening after setting headspace keeps it from "walking" then it may make my method a little easier.
    Thanks for the tip. I have a couple switches coming up this month so I am going to try your method.
    Happy New Year

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    I had picked up a Wheeler Action Wrench quite a while back. Used it one time and never again. Had it on a stainless small shank action. It was tight enough that I had to loosen it to turn the barrel and to stop the squealing as it turned. Never again. Can't sell it because it would cost more than I paid for it to ship.
    Now, barrel gets chucked up in a "padded" bench vice, nut wrench gets smacked with a steel hammer to brake loose then the process gets reversed. A good "smack" with steel hammer on steel nut wrench and it's tight enough. I've probably done a dozen or so and NEVER had a barrel come loose. Each action is marked and the barrel gets the same markings. Usually a Magic Marker and blue tape. Head space is set "on the snug side" with brass as all of my rigs are Wildcats. No New factory ammo available.
    did you not tape your action with electrical tape? I have now used NSS action wrench which I believe is just like the wheeler and had zero issues. Line up the recoil lug. Snug down the action wrench screws. Take nut off. Pretty easy with no "squealing"....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I have never used a barrel vise on any Savage style barrel swap,I only use an action vise,nut wrench,and a 4lb dead blow hammer. I don't install the action vise on the action until the barrel/barrel nut is screwed on the action,and the head space is set with the barrel nut finger tight. I wrap a couple layers of blue painters tape around the action before I put it in the action vise,and then tighten the action vise bolts down TIGHT.

If you tighten the action wrench bolts down correctly,the barrel cannot move at all when you tighten the barrel nut. I've done a couple dozen barrel swaps/installs over the years,and have never had any head space issues just using an action wrench to do it. If your barrel can still turn with an action wrench installed on the action,you need to tighten the bolts on the action wrench more!
    I cant disagree with this statement more...Actually the directions say you do not want those screws to tight as it can damage the receiver and if you are tightening them so tight as to make the barrel hard to turn, then you are 100% stressing the receiver. The recoil lug fits in the action wrench slot as to not allow the receiver to spin anyways so why tighten it so much? I have not done as many barrel swaps as you but I have done a few and never needed to turn the bolts on the action wrench so tight as to not be able to turn the barrel into the receiver......

Basic Member
    Bigeclipse,
    I looked up the wheeler instructions and you are 100% correct. It says you can bend or crush the reciever.
    Guess I will continue as always and spend 2 or 3 extra minutes dialing the headspace just the way I want it. I've only changed maybe 100 or so but always looking to learn a "better way".
    My barrel vise and action "vise" are mounted on the same bench but not concentric to each other, if they were I would use both like others on here. Guess I'll stick with what works.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12