I just completed my second Savage barrel installation. The first barrel I installed was a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) and I used the action wrench I purchased at the time I bought the barrel. I thought it was relatively easy, including the whole process, which involved removing the factory barrel and installing new barrel.

Wellll, I decided to have the factory barrel threaded for my suppressor on another Cabela's 12FV 22-250 I had bought. So, I removed the factory barrel using the action wrench and sent it off for threading. I initially bought a Viper Bench Rest Vise before ever removing or installing a barrel, but later bought the NSS Action Wrench and I never tried using the barrel vise.

I tried to reinstall my barrel this evening using the barrel vise since I had reinstalled my scope base while I was waiting on my barrel to be mailed back to me. What a frustrating experience. I know some of you use barrel vises, but I just could not keep the action from turning when I tried to tighten down the barrel nut after I had it headspaced.

I finally just took off the scope base, popped it in the action wrench, and had it completed in just a few minutes.

I know some of you experts will flame me on how it should not have been that difficult, but I'm sticking with the action wrench from this point on if I can help it.