Thread: My 110T-SR review

Basic Member

My 110T-SR review

This is kind of long, fair warning

So I have been wanting to do a magnum savage build for a while, but didn’t ever find a used rifle for the price I wanted to spend. I could find long actions (non magnum) for $200-350 depending on model. But they had stocks I would not keep, barrels I would not keep, and bolt heads I wouldn't have a use for.

I own a few of those project rifles already, and they were fun to build (particularly the 243 heavy barrel I built with my 9 year old). This time I wanted something where I could live with it pretty much as it came for around $500. That just wasn’t possible buying a used rifle and building it. So while stumbling around Cabelas on black Friday looking for ammo (this is the second time I’ve done this, need to stay out of there on black Friday) I decide to look at the rifles. I was actually thinking about the Thompson compass line. It wasn't a heavy barrel, but it was threaded. Trigger wasn’t bad feeling in my opinion, but the stock… light weight. Too light for me. Most factory injection molded stocks I have had experience with do not lend well to front support(bag or bipod) and would negate any free floating it had or I would do. Not that any of these “issues” aren't fixable, it just didn’t feel like what I was looking for .

So I look at the Savage rifles. My train of thought was get a magnum with a heavy threaded barrel for less than the cost of building one, with a stock that I could live with. I look on their website and see the 110t-sr. I ask the sales guy and they had a few in stock. The floor model felt real good. The heavy knob made slow/steady cycling of the bolt easy. I had to have it. Detachable mags were a plus, it came with a 1 piece rail and the accustock with the aluminum block sealed the deal. I paired it up with a vortex diamond back ffp scope(budget but great warranty) and some ammo. Out the door I went.
    Once home I open the box, and insert the bolt with lube… not smooth at all. I figured it was me doing something weird. Cycled the bolt 50 times. If I went fast and hard, no problem. Slow and deliberate, chattery. Checked the receiver and I could see some machining marks on the lug raceways. So I polished them a bit with light oil and 600 grit. Just enough to remove finger feel, I would have needed 400 grit to actually visually smooth them out, but I didn’t want to go that deep. I wasn’t convinced this was the issue yet. It was better, but still not smooth when slow.

I then looked at the bolt closely and could see witness marks starting to appear on the coating on the bolt body. Checking the receiver I could see light scuff marks on it too. NOW we're getting some where! I used a little fine grit lapping compound along the top of the bolt body(only half way to the lugs) and started working the bolt in and out. I was careful not to pull the bolt all the way back while working it to avoid getting any lapping compound on the lugs. Did this for about 2-3 minutes, I didn’t count the strokes as I was paying more attention to the feel. I stopped when it felt fairly smooth because the grit of the compound by nature creates a rough feel. There was no need to re-apply. I cleaned very thoroughly, re-lubed the bolt and SUCCESS! I was now able to gently cycle the bolt with ease. I figure the black coating was applied a little to thick on the bolt body, which gave too little clearance between it and the receiver.

I took some Plexiglass and a heat gun to make a cheek riser (which my 7yr old daughter helped me cover with a foam pad and pleather). Used some hardware I had laying around to mount the cheek rest. Leveled out my optics using some rings I had, laser sight at dusk, dryfire a bunch of times, feels real good. Mounted and timed a cheap muzzle brake with sound forwarder sleeve off eBay, done.

Went to the range with some friends the following weekend and brought this guy along. Zero'd the rifle at 100y with 180gr Privi. Didn’t measure the group’s but after I settled in from new gun giddies, 5 shot strings under 1inch were way easy. Switched to hornady 180gr SST, made a couple of scope adjustments, and went to 200y. At this point in my story the rifle has 40 rounds through it between me and a couple of my buddies. I shot 40 more at the 200y and had several good groups but had 2 that I measured at home afterwards.. just over an inch (1.23 and 1.28). This thing is a rock star and obviously shoots better than I do at this point. I brought my 12fv in 308 along and switched to it afterwards. That rifle I am very familiar with and routinely shoot around 3/4 moa with, and this thing shot better. I am super happy with this rifle. Now, I’m going to paint it and just enjoy shooting it.

I know this was long, but I hope it helps someone out who might be thinking about this rifle and what they might get. Once I get it painted and time to do some load development, I will post pics of everything with chronograph results. It will probably not going to be for a few weeks though with the holidays.

Merry Christmas to all.

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting this. Keep updating please!

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk