Thread: Timney trigger on axis - can't adjust overtravel

iHuntTargets

Timney trigger on axis - can't adjust overtravel

Hi all,

I recently purchased and installed a Timney trigger on my axis. The web site says that it is fully adjustable for over-travel. Unfortunately, this isn't true. There are only three adjustment screws on the Timney trigger ... one for sear engagement, one for safety setting, and one for pull weight. Timney confirmed that the trigger is not adjustable for over-travel.

That being said, I did adjust the safety screw such that it eliminates over-travel completely. Of course, unfortunately, this does not leave enough clearance for the safety to be engaged. So, I can either have zero over-travel, or a working safety, but not both. I'm not a hunter and I only shoot at the range, so I'm not too concerned about not having a safety. I never use the safety anyway ... when the range goes cold, I never rely on the safety ... I open the bolt and drop the mag.

So, I may just keep it the way it is. I love the feel of the trigger ... I no longer have any creep, and the pull weight is just about perfect for me. And I can drop the rifle butt onto a hard surface and slam the bolt closed without the trigger releasing.

Just wanted to get people's input on this ... how do you feel about a rifle that doesn't have a safety? Again, this gun is only used for target shooting at the range, where I never use the safety anyway. I always unload the gun and open the bolt if I'm not about to fire. And of course if I let anyone else use the gun at the range, I would explain that the safety is non-functional.

Basic Member

Re: Timney trigger on axis - can't adjust overtravel

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
    People forget. wierd things happen all the time. disabling the saftey and writing about it on the internet seems like a recipe for disaster.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

iHuntTargets

Re: Timney trigger on axis - can't adjust overtravel

Quote Originally Posted by Axtell3
    Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
    People forget. wierd things happen all the time. disabling the saftey and writing about it on the internet seems like a recipe for disaster.
    Very true, people do forget. However, I should have mentioned this in my first post, but the safety physically cannot move into the "safe" position, so even if I forgot to tell someone about it, it would be obvious that it is disabled. In that respect, I feel that it's no different than any gun that doesn't have a safety at all.

That being said, I agree that it's just inviting an accident when things don't function as everyone expects them to. (And everyone expects a rifle like this to have a working safety.) So I think I'll re-enable the safety. I think I can use use the pull weight screw to eliminate over-travel ... I'll just need to use a larger-diameter spring that goes around the pull weight adjustment screw, instead of sitting on top of the screw inside its hole.