Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else building a Savage into the 300PRC?

Basic Member

Core training center in GA has a 2200m unknown distance range. I had planned on making a trip until i found a local place to go to a mile.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve390Gold View Post
    Did your resizing decapping match die NOT come with any neck bushings at all?
    I picked the bushings when I ordered the dies. Like other die sets like Redding etc...they don’t normally come with the neck bushings. You have to call them out.

Basic Member
    Anyone know if 300wm bolthead will work on 338lm action.... Thinking of building 300prc on sav 338

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simo hayha View Post
    Anyone know if 300wm bolthead will work on 338lm action.... Thinking of building 300prc on sav 338
    No the 338LM uses a larger bolt head. You would need a .535 bolt head for the PRC cartridge
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    What boltfaces are available for largeshank longaction

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simo hayha View Post
    What boltfaces are available for largeshank longaction
    Standard 308: .473
    Magnum: .535

If your action was sold from Savage for 338LM
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    No the 338LM uses a larger bolt head. You would need a .535 bolt head for the PRC cartridge
    I think he was asking if you could simply swap bolt faces. Is the the 338 bolt assembly able to accept an aftermarket .532 or .535 bolt face head ?

Basic Member
    To answer that question, no you would need to purchase an action rated for 338LM. For the most part a large shank action rated for the cartridge.

Basic Member
    Lol that still doesn’t answer it. If you had a 338 LM action, could you convert to a .535 or whatever standard magnum bolt head?

Basic Member
    Yes you can. The bolt dimensions are the same except for locking lug thickness. The bolt body that came with your lapua action will take a regular bolt head. You’ll probably have to adjust the firing pin protrusion though bc with the thinner head it’ll likely stick out too far. Another option is to get a complete bolt assembly. Bottom line, yes you can absolutely make a 300 win mag or PRC on a lapua action.

Basic Member
    Before Savage came out with a factory rifle I rebarreled my shop test rifle which is a mid ‘70s 112 Varminter J series rifle (which is a small shank) and is a single shot. I got some new mag bolt heads from Savage and opened up the bolt face to .338 Lapua. Installed a new barrel with out the barrel nut so I could run a heavier contour. Rifle shot excellent. This was back around 2008 and we we’re making barrels for Rem. MSR prototype rifles as well as the first PSR go around.

I don’t see the large shank barrels being any stronger per say vs. the small shank. The receiver o.d. Is still the same. Unless the newer factory .338 Lapua Savage rifles have a totally different receiver.

I have more thoughts on these larger rounds and the type of actions they should be used on as well as barrel diameters. That’s another subject though.

So going from a factory .338 Lapua to a .300PRC should be nothing major to accomplish.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Basic Member
    Savage does make a bolt head for the standard .532 bolt face with the 9/16" lugs, for the 110BA. The 110BA was available in .300 WM.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I think the advantage to the large shank is if you choose to stay with the barrel nut (as Savage has), it gives you thicker chamber walls on the portion that extends beyond the receiver. It goes from 1 1/16" to 1 1/8" (small shank compared to large shank) which may not sound like much, but an extra 1/16" of steel adds a good bit of strength. The dimensions of their Lapua actions are the same as the other long actions. However, due to a different heat treatment process, and smaller ejection port, they are stronger than the standard long action. I'm glad your Lapua gave you good service. I recall reading an in depth discussion from Sharpshooter years ago about chambering the Lapua on the small shank in a standard action and his results were not so favorable. IIRC it included, chamber swelling upon firing and lug setback.

Seriously considered the .300PRC for the 111 I'm rebarreling (originally a 7mm RM). Decided against it for a variety of reasons, including powder consumption. Don't need it for what I do and shooting elk or mulies past 600 yards isn't in my foreseeable future.

Had considered a 6.5PRC but may go with a .270 instead. High B.C. bullets aren't as plentiful but the Nosler 150g LRAB and Federal 155g Edge TLR are all I would need. Have the 150g LRAB running 2910fps in Daughter's .270.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter View Post
    Seriously considered the .300PRC for the 111 I'm rebarreling (originally a 7mm RM). Decided against it for a variety of reasons, including powder consumption. Don't need it for what I do and shooting elk or mulies past 600 yards isn't in my foreseeable future.

Had considered a 6.5PRC but may go with a .270 instead. High B.C. bullets aren't as plentiful but the Nosler 150g LRAB and Federal 155g Edge TLR are all I would need. Have the 150g LRAB running 2910fps in Daughter's .270.
    I have heard that the LRAB’s had inflated BC numbers.... definitely confirm with first hand dope.

Their 6.5mm 130gr RDF’s are dead nuts on BC wise but are super finicky....my Grendel hated them.

Basic Member
    Well the barrel arrived from PacNor and holy moly is it GORGEOUS!!! (And heavy - 28” heavy Palma)!

Now I’m just waiting in on PTG to make my left hand magnum bolt head, recoil lug, and barrel nut! 3 weeks since I ordered!! Once I see those shipping, I’ll rent a go and nogo gauge so I can have this bad boy up and running soon!

After that, MDT will be up to the plate!!

Basic Member
    Call me nuts but I'm thinking about rebarrelling a savage axis into it and dropping it in a Boyd's stock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123