Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else building a Savage into the 300PRC?

Basic Member

Good information. This round is interesting to me.

I was gonna say, brian tooley is a guy who does race car performance parts lol cylinder heads cams etc

I havent had much feeding issues with my wsm tho but limited to mag length of 2.97 you cant really use long bullets and still have case capacity to drive them, and my jump to the lands becomes long at mag lengths. But certain bullets shoot very well out of it

with the 300 prc having a long 3.70” coal, thats 300 rum territory. I assume guys building these on savage 110 standard actions are single shots?
    you would need a rum action and mag box for a repeater?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post

I was gonna say, brian tooley is a guy who does race car performance parts lol cylinder heads cams etc

I havent had much feeding issues with my wsm tho but limited to mag length of 2.97 you cant really use long bullets and still have case capacity to drive them, and my jump to the lands becomes long at mag lengths. But certain bullets shoot very well out of it

with the 300 prc having a long 3.70” coal, thats 300 rum territory. I assume guys building these on savage 110 standard actions are single shots?
    Oops thats were i got Brian from! I have a LS1 GTO and am in the market for heads, cam, and supporting mods....lol

My savage 110LH was a 270win but it is a blind mag center feed and with a super long mocked up 270, the action will handle up to 3.750" (mag and stock not so much but i have a way around that....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
    It’s Dave Tooley. Not Brian Tooley. LOL!

I don’t know/remember the whole history but I know a couple of Hornady guys as well as Dave ran it for about 10 years on they’re 1k bench guns. I think you have it pretty close.

I know Joe (Hornady) and Jayden and some others there as well as Dave have a ton of time with it.

I know Dave ran pre production brass and 225 Hornady bullets in a 1k bench match last summer or summer before. I think before. Going into the last relay he was tied for 1st place. Ended up 2nd. I know he was shooting groups in the sub 5” range for the most part.
    Oops yes Dave. LoL

Basic Member
    Your doing a .30cal in a 1-8 twist? What are you chambering it in? Am I correct to assume .300PRC or something different?
    Yes a 300prc, 28" barrel heavy palma, 1:8" twist. Should I call them and have it changed over to 1:9" if they haven't started it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post

If the action is set up for a WSM you shouldn’t have any feeding issues. Where the WSM can be problematic is you take a action that was not set up for WSM to begin with and with the really wide body you might have feeding issues with the ramp and rail width. Like on Winchesters etc....

.300PRC should work thru standard WM actions length wise. Mostly with hunting bullets. If the really long bullets you might have a problem.

On Savage actions I’m gonna say single shot only but not sure about all the different mag. Lengths of the Savage etc....

My older Savage 112V from the 70’s I used as my shop test rifle. That gun had everything from .223 barrels up to .338 Lapua barrels on it but again it was a single shot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve390Gold View Post
    Yes a 300prc, 28" barrel heavy palma, 1:8" twist. Should I call them and have it changed over to 1:9" if they haven't started it?
    The 1-8 won’t hurt ya. I don’t see a need for a 1-8. So to me a horse a piece. If your just going to be shooting heavy bullets like the 225 and heavier then leave it as a 8 or we can change it to a 9 twist. I know we made plenty of 1-8 twist barrels for Hornady as well if memory serves me correctly.

Saami spec. On .300PRC is 1-10 twist but again if your shooting 225 and up to 240gr. Bullets I’d run a faster twist then a 10 myself. The 230SMK if I recall need like a 1-9.29 twist min. At 2800fps. I’d have to rerun the numbers to double check that as it’s been a while since I did the twist calc on them.

The barrel can be started....as long as it’s not rifled we can change the twist rate for ya. No big deal. Rifling is the last thing that gets done anyways.

Later, Frank

Basic Member
    Also depending on powder....I know of some guys running the .300PRC out of long range PRS type guns and running the 225 bullets around low to mid 2900’s out of a 27” barrel.

That’s getting it done!

Basic Member
    WOW, that is smoking!

Frank, I'm guessing you are using Hornady Brass?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Why not just neck down 338lm

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Frank, I'm guessing you are using Hornady Brass?
    Yep!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simo hayha View Post
    Why not just neck down 338lm
    Go back and read some of my posts.....the .338LM has too much case capacity in my opinion. The ignition is weird/different feeling in the LM. The Norma is better than the LM and I feel the PRC is better than the Norma.

Also LM and Norma you need a different bolt face. PRC will work with std. magnum bolt face.

Basic Member
    The 1-8 won’t hurt ya. I don’t see a need for a 1-8. So to me a horse a piece. If your just going to be shooting heavy bullets like the 225 and heavier then leave it as a 8 or we can change it to a 9 twist. I know we made plenty of 1-8 twist barrels for Hornady as well if memory serves me correctly.

Saami spec. On .300PRC is 1-10 twist but again if your shooting 225 and up to 240gr. Bullets I’d run a faster twist then a 10 myself. The 230SMK if I recall need like a 1-9.29 twist min. At 2800fps. I’d have to rerun the numbers to double check that as it’s been a while since I did the twist calc on them.

The barrel can be started....as long as it’s not rifled we can change the twist rate for ya. No big deal. Rifling is the last thing that gets done anyways.

Later, Frank
    I rechecked the twist calc and at 2800fps. you need a 1-9.24 twist min. for the 230gr. SMK

Basic Member
    I double checked...SAAMI spec. is 1-8.5 twist. Then it dawned on me we did make quite a few barrels in 8.5 twist for Hornady.

I've got a similar build going. Starting with a 112v single shot long action. Has a SSS competition trigger and a lift kit plus a new bushed and trued bolt head.

Going to shoulder up a Lilja 1.350" shank barrel (no nut) that tapers to .940 at 31" but will finish at 30" threaded for a brake.

Going to bed it into a weighted up Choate Tactical until I find a stock I like better.

Thanks for all the information Frank!
    Dave

Basic Member
    Go back and read some of my posts.....the .338LM has too much case capacity in my opinion. The ignition is weird/different feeling in the LM. The Norma is better than the LM and I feel the PRC is better than the Norma.

Also LM and Norma you need a different bolt face. PRC will work with std. magnum bolt face.
    And receiver.... must be able to handle the bolt thrust of the LM.

I ran some numbers in the ballistic calculator, and it's nearly identical to the .338 LM in terms of drop/drift with the 225 ELD-M.
    This is due to the published BC of that particular bullet, which seems to be leagues ahead of anything else out there- including Bergers.
    I wonder if this BC has been verified??

Put any other boolit into the equation and it doesn't match up to the .338LM. I recently spent nearly a grand getting together components for a .338 LM build and this has given me pause, but I've decided to forge ahead with it. Still much more energy at any range than the .300, should it ever be needed for more than banging a steel plate.

Basic Member
    Welcome Dave!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    And receiver.... must be able to handle the bolt thrust of the LM.

I ran some numbers in the ballistic calculator, and it's nearly identical to the .338 LM in terms of drop/drift with the 225 ELD-M.
    This is due to the published BC of that particular bullet, which seems to be leagues ahead of anything else out there- including Bergers.
    I wonder if this BC has been verified??

Put any other boolit into the equation and it doesn't match up to the .338LM. I recently spent nearly a grand getting together components for a .338 LM build and this has given me pause, but I've decided to forge ahead with it. Still much more energy at any range than the .300, should it ever be needed for more than banging a steel plate.
    I didn’t verify the numbers b.c. Wise but at 2900fps......from a 100 yard zero I used 13 minutes up for 700 yards (that was just a quick check on a steel plate), 16 min for 800, 19.375 for 900 and 22 min. For 1k yards.

The 225’s Hornady and the 230smk ran neck and neck.

Onto the .338 LM I did a lot of testing on my 70’s made 112V single shot. Had no issues. This was before Savage had a .338LM rifle. I got a new bolt head from Savage and opened it up to .338LM. All worked with no issues.

Basic Member
    Got 50 pieces of Hornady brass as well as my Hornady match dies. The dies are amazing upon initial inspection. The brass not so much. Very inconsistent in weight. Typical Hornady "quality" regarding the brass

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve390Gold View Post
    Got 50 pieces of Hornady brass as well as my Hornady match dies. The dies are amazing upon initial inspection. The brass not so much. Very inconsistent in weight. Typical Hornady "quality" regarding the brass
    You got the match bushing dies with the micrometer seater? I have those and the standard set. Both are nice. The match bushing dies have been excellent to work with.

I’ll have to weigh my brass out of curiosity but loading and shooting it hasn’t giving me any problems per say.

Basic Member
    Yuppers!! Two different inserts for different bullet profiles, also has that micrometer seater. Quite impressed.

Basic Member
    You got the match bushing dies with the micrometer seater? I have those and the standard set. Both are nice. The match bushing dies have been excellent to work with.

I’ll have to weigh my brass out of curiosity but loading and shooting it hasn’t giving me any problems per say.
    Did your resizing decapping match die NOT come with any neck bushings at all?

Basic Member
    I'd really like to. My dad and I have plans to set up a 1 mile target out at the farm. For now, I have a 6x45 PRS match rifle I plan to try with 110SMKs and a savage criterion barreled 26" 6.5CM, so neither will make it there over the speed of sound but I'm going to try for now anyways. I might even try 150SMKs in the creedmoor but back on topic...

The challenge has given me an excuse to dream up a "custom budget 1 mile gun" if there ever were such a thing. I've looked at a lot of cartridges and keep coming back to the 300 PRC. I'm thinking buy a 110 w/ magnum bolt face off gunbroker, screw on the longest, heaviest criterion barrel I can find, then drop it into whatever halfway decent used/blem'ed stock or chassis I can find. It'd be nice to not even have to bother with detachable mags.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    The challenge has given me an excuse to dream up a "custom budget 1 mile gun" if there ever were such a thing.
    Purpose-built ELR sticks, sure...
    "Budget", not so much- but depends on what your definition of "budget", is. Can you do it with a factory rifle with an aftermarket prefit? Again, sure- but at ELR every bit of accuracy helps.

I'm putting together a .338 LM (maybe AI, not sure yet). Forget the cost of the rifle itself (as a riflesmith, at least my labor is "free"), consider "support" equipment...

NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 $3,600 my dream...may need to settle for less- but a real, quality optic is a must for clarity at one mile.
    Laser Rangefinder...best that can be afforded.
    Ballistics program (Coldbore)
    Kestrel
    Your spotter's gonna need some high-end glass, too... ($ remote camera system $ would be nice...)

No doubt, if you've got a mile available- you'll get the "bug" and eventually want a purpose-built ELR rig when funds permit.

Damn, I hate guys like you that can step out their back door...and shoot!

Basic Member
    Remote camera systems are not expensive at all. Build your own. 300 bucks and youll have a system that will easily work over 2 miles...:)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Purpose-built ELR sticks, sure...
    "Budget", not so much- but depends on what your definition of "budget", is. Can you do it with a factory rifle with an aftermarket prefit? Again, sure- but at ELR every bit of accuracy helps.

I'm putting together a .338 LM (maybe AI, not sure yet). Forget the cost of the rifle itself (as a riflesmith, at least my labor is "free"), consider "support" equipment...

NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 $3,600 my dream...may need to settle for less- but a real, quality optic is a must for clarity at one mile.
    Laser Rangefinder...best that can be afforded.
    Ballistics program (Coldbore)
    Kestrel
    Your spotter's gonna need some high-end glass, too... ($ remote camera system $ would be nice...)

No doubt, if you've got a mile available- you'll get the "bug" and eventually want a purpose-built ELR rig when funds permit.

Damn, I hate guys like you that can step out their back door...and shoot!
    Was going to wait to order the scope till last, but I went and pre-ordered the Vortex Razor HD Gen II. Saved $700 pre-ordering vs. waiting. I did hear that Vortex will be dropping the price, but I'd wait to see. Anywho, this build will definitely not be budget oriented: Mausingfield action, McMillan A6 PRS stock, Brux Barrel in 338 Norma Magnum, plus loading equipment and a silencer. I still need to purchase a really good spotting scope, laser range finder and a range in Georgia where I can shoot to a mile.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast