Thread: General Brass Question

Basic Member

General Brass Question

Ok so forgive my ignorance as I'm not a reloader. It's my understanding that not all brass is created equal. But, if you buy ammo from Federal (ex Power-Shok), is it the same brass as another brass from the same company (ex Premium Gold Medal Match)? Are those 2 equal when it comes time to reload? The reason for my question is that I'm looking at buying several boxes of Power-Shok's for barrel break in of my new Savage 110 Tactical. And then afterwards I'll test out several different types of ammo to see what shoots best. But during this process, I'll keep all of the brass in case I should ever choose to learn to reload in the future.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

There should be no difference in brass between Power Shock and Gold Medal Match. Federal brass tends to be a bit soft so won't last for very many loads compared to Starline or Lapua.

Some Federal will be nickel plated, some not.

Mostly cosmetic
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Federal GMM brass is very closely weight sorted. I cant verify other loadings. Federal brass is as mentioned, soft in the web/primer pocket area. You will get fewer loadings with Federal brass.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Why not buy some good quality bulk brass from the same company and lot and be money ahead.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Why not buy some good quality bulk brass from the same company and lot and be money ahead.
    Right now I have no intentions on reloading. But, I figure that if I save the brass from the ammo I use, I won't have to buy it later.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Then buy some Lapua ammo.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Important to note that not all Federal brass is the same hardness. I find that the 223 brass is quite hard and capable of being reloaded dozens of times but IIRC the 308 brass is manufactured deliberately soft because that quality was shown to improved consistency. Federal wasn't as concerned about reloading complaints so much as trying to build a reliable and accurate load for the 308.

I drill and tap some of my FF cases to use as tools to measure distance to lands, and I tap them all by hand which is an excellent way to get an idea of how hard the head portion of the cartridge is. Fed 308 is very easy to tap using a cordless drill. Fed 223 is extremely hard to hold by hand and tap, an example of very hard brass. I have actually ripped skin loose on my hand trying to hold a 223 case and tap using a good, sharp and well oiled 6-32 tap spun by an electric drill.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Texas10 Try using those rubber jar lid grippers when holding brass. My arthritic hands cant hold small stuff very well anymore and this sure makes it easy on me for small gripping tasks.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks RH.

I'll try that as soon as my hand heals.....LOL
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I have used Lake City brass for a long time but I recently obtained about 1000 FC 16 223 and FC 17 223 brass I found it to be very consistant in volume and weight. I loaded 200 with 75 grain hpbt with cfe 223 and shoot them at 2700 fps. I have so far reloaded the 200 brass five reloads with no problems. I like them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Texas10 Try using those rubber jar lid grippers when holding brass. My arthritic hands cant hold small stuff very well anymore and this sure makes it easy on me for small gripping tasks.
    I hear ya! I have the same issue. The jar lid gripper is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by azguy View Post
    I have used Lake City brass for a long time but I recently obtained about 1000 FC 16 223 and FC 17 223 brass I found it to be very consistant in volume and weight. I loaded 200 with 75 grain hpbt with cfe 223 and shoot them at 2700 fps. I have so far reloaded the 200 brass five reloads with no problems. I like them so far.
    My experience has been similar with the newer FC. Some of the years before that were terrible though, maybe 1 or 2 reloads before the primer pockets got too loose.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others