Thread: Where to buy 25 creedmoor barrel in 1in8 or faster twist.

Basic Member

Where to buy 25 creedmoor barrel in 1in8 or faster twist.

Can anyone help me find a Savage small shank prefit barrel in 25 creedmoor? Twist rate 1in 8 or faster for the 131 ace bullets. Thanks

Going to have to be a custom order. Check with Shilen, Pac-Nor, or any number of custom gunsmiths out there to see who has a reamer that can make you one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

25 creedmoor

I have talked to many barrel makers and it seems you’re right about it having to be custom. A couple places said maybe next year. Looks like I will have to buy my own reamer and blank, then have a gunsmith in my area finish it. I just hoped some company would take on this little challenge and I would be first! Thanks

No pre-fit barrel maker or broker is going to stock barrels chambered for a wildcat that hasn't been around a long time and proven to be hugely popular - it just wouldn't make sense financially. Suffice to say they'll definitely never do it when you're talking about a quarter-bore wildcat as they have VERY low demand due to limited bullet selection and being flanked on either side by the hugely popular 6mm and 6.5mm caliber cartridges.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Seeing as how Reamers aren't available until January, you'll be hard pressed to find a prefit out yet. Buy your own reamer from Black Jacket Bullets if this is your desire.

I talked to Patriot Valley Arms in early November. They are doing prefit 25CM 1:7 for Ruger PR. They were waiting on reamer and barrels. I would assume Savages would be available from them at some point. But they are so backed up it will be a long time.
    I also contacted X-Caliber as well for Savage pre fit. No reply.

Basic Member
    Xcalibar told me they can do a 25-06 for me in 1&7 twist, but it would next year for the 25 creedmoor because they don’t have a reamer yet. It’s not that I need one, but I really want one!

"It’s not that I need one, but I really want one! "
    Xringer1, I am right behind you on that. I've got too many rifles to ever shoot out a barrel on any of them. My wife will freak when she opens the safe when I am dead. At least they will cover the cost of my funeral.

Basic Member
    I guess I’m waiting for a manufacturer to get a 25 creedmoor reamer and then waiting to build the barrel. It’s time to get everything else up and rolling. If anyone hears or sees a Savage made in 25 cm please give me a shout out! Thanks

Patriot Valley Arms online ordering is showing 25 CM in Savage prefit for $425 with a Rock Creek Barrel. I am guessing a long wait as they are busy as can b making John Hanock rifles.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the update

Basic Member
    I'v been talking with X-Caliber also, because, I recently got a 6 Creedmoor small shank bull 26" from them, that's a shooter! Looks like I'l have to get a barrel from them, the reamer along with the bullets from Black Jack and find a smith local, if I want one before spring?! I really don't like buying reamers, unless I can resale it?

I have my barrel. Still waiting on the reamer that was suppose to get here in December. Then wait on a gunsmith to chamber it. I'd buy a used reamer right now if I saw one for sale in 25 CM. I've got a 25x47L on order for a heavy barreled target rifle. Also have a spotter barrel that I want to do as a 25 CM hunting rifle.

Blackjack bullets finally got some reamers and barrels in and will be mailing some out today. Bugholes.com has 4 Bartlein blanks left in stock. So I expect some gunsmiths will be keeping reamers on hand so after this rush of chambering is over, it should be easier for quarter bore fans to find a prefit.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I missed getting a reamer and have been talking to x-cal myself. They are waiting to see a standard for the 25cm. They are unsure of neck diameter and throat length. Im going to get on the list for a reamer and hope someone close will do it for me. I plan on getting a barrel for hunting and one for target shooting f class. I would like to see what it does at a 600yd match and test it farther out. Under half the wind drift of my 308 F-TR gun.

Reamer prints for BJ 25CM and 25x47L have been public since October. No excuse for X-Caliber to not offer some prefits. Doesn't take many sales to pay for a carbide reamer. Blackjack has Clymer reamers coming in March for preorder.

Basic Member
    Just got off the phone with Xcaliber and they will be getting a reamer for the 25 creedmoor ASAP. They told me I would have to wait till April 1st to order my new barrel in 25 creedmoor!!!!!!!!!! So freaking happy right now! Thanks for everyone’s interest in this and please support Xcaliber barrels. Blackjack 131 Aces are also a huge deal and make this project all worth it. Can’t wait to show you all the pictures when I receive it. Thanks

Basic Member
    Oh really?! Good to hear that! I took advantage of the Cabelas sale and picked up a 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor for this project. Should have bought 2 for that price?!

Basic Member
    That’s what my project started as. Now I’m just wondering what the best chassis or stock would be for it. I have a Boyd’s thumb hole, a choate super sniper and a mtd stealth chassis. I also have a hs precision but want to keep it on my 6.5 creedmoor.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xringer1 View Post
    That’s what my project started as. Now I’m just wondering what the best chassis or stock would be for it. I have a Boyd’s thumb hole, a choate super sniper and a mtd stealth chassis. I also have a hs precision but want to keep it on my 6.5 creedmoor.
    Another chassis for this build, but I do like the Choate Tactical also.

Basic Member
    X-caliber made it official today that they are offering the 25 Creedmoor

Banned
    Or could have gone 257 Roberts long ago. Better cartridge anyway, imho.

Basic Member
    Explain exactly how, the 257 Roberts is a better cartridge, than 25 Creedmoor and don't just say "because it's been around longer", that's weak?

I almost went with the Roberts, with a faster twist, because shooting light for caliber just ain't my thing. The Roberts also would not fit in a detachable 308 mag, with the 131 Ace bullet, properly seated.

When comparing the .25 Creedmoor and the .257 Roberts, one has to bear in mind the differences.

Let’s start with the .257 Roberts. It is neither a .308 Win nor a .30-06 length cartridge. Instead it is a Mauser x57 length, which in-between the others. As such, long, heavy bullets are better suited for use in a true x57 or long (.30-06 length) action. SAAMI pressure standards for the Roberts is 45,000 CUP or 54,000 PSI. No matter which way you measure it, the SAAMI pressure limit is pretty low. This makes the Roberts a better choice for handloaders if extended range capabilities are desired. The 50,000 CUP and 58,000 PSI pressure limits for the SAAMI .257 Roberts +P improve its capability somewhat but are still low compared to most modern cartridges. SAAMI standard twist rate is 1-10, which is may be too slow for long, heavy bullets seated to magazine length. Factory .257 Roberts and +P pressure ammo can be purchased.

The .25 Creedmoor is not a SAAMI cartridge but pressure limits can be assumed to be in the neighborhood of the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is designed to fit a .308-length action with long, heavy bullets. As a wildcat, the twist rate can be specified by the purchaser of the barrel and thus can be ideal for long, heavy bullets. Good luck finding factory ammo.

For me, it comes down to what you want out of the cartridge. The 25 Creedmoor didn’t exist in 1989 when my .257 Roberts was manufactured. With +P loads and a long action with bullets seated out, it is just a step behind the .25-06. Accuracy is great and the rifle cost me $300 in 2004, including the Leupold scope in the rings. Works for me.

Basic Member
    25 creedmoor-I guess my answer would be accuracy with barrel life and low recoil. 131 blackjack Aces are a game changer running around 3000fps out of a 25” Xcaliber. Short actions are a dime a dozen. Barrels last around 2500 rounds or more.

25-06 - I have 3 and they’re all ok but 2 are 1-10 twist and have issues with 117 and higher grain bullets stabilizing out at longer distances. 131’s run around 3200fps out of the fast twist Xcaliber. Long action and most barrels burn up at 1200 rounds.

A couple people I know have 257’s and think the world of them. They think there the best deer gun made. There’s not a lot of stuff out there for the 257.

All in in all there is no end all answers, it’s what you prefer and what gets you excited. For me it’s having a full lineup of interesting stuff!
    Shooting tiny groups always makes me happy! Even 308’s and 270’s make me happy!