Thread: Reduced loads for Savage ML II

Reduced loads for Savage ML II

I am looking for help with reduced loads for the SML. If I wanted to turn it into a .458 Win Mag or shoot a deer 300 yards away there is plenty of help. I have mine because I do not like to clean any of the new ML powders. I am 80 years old with 2, 14 year grandsons. I learned a long time ago that it does not take a magnum to kill a piece of paper. I have a good supply of Hornady 185, 200 and 230 grain . 451 bullets. I have several powders, 4895, 748, Trail Boss, Unique, 4759 and 2400. Most shots will be yards or less.

This will sound unfriendly. I do not mean it to be so. I am frustrated in not finding information. I am not interested in opinions. I want hard data from someone who shoots reduced loads for fun. I have read most of the articles available on the SML. There is very little help. I may be the only owner not interested in killing a moose in the next county.

I will be using MMP sabots and looking forward to range time. With 3 bullets, 3 sabots and 3 powders there is a lot of fun to be had working up a short range easy shooting load for myself and grandsons.

From a cold, damp but sunny day I ask for HELP. (I know, I know. I am shouting. SORRY. That is a Big sorry)

eleyxring Oklahoma

Team Savage
    The powders you list are not recommend/safe for use in Savage 10II-ML But reduced loads of Accurate Arms 5744 would work with those bullets. Randywakeman.com is the best source for information about the Savage 10II-ML. http://randywakeman.com/SAVAGE10ML_I...ber2015%20.htm

I had read most of the Wakeman articles already but decided to follow your suggestion. First what I think is an important announcement. At the 2018 Shot Show in Las Vegas, Savage said they were
    producing vent liners and breech plugs. This from an article written by some one that attended the show and who spoke with a Savage spooks person. It is Sunday evening so I cannot call.1-413-568-7001. 4759 has been mentioned several times then says "It is no longer produced" and no load data. I scored an 8 # keg when it was supposed to be unavailable. I did find a starting load for the 4759 of 39grs. If for some reason you take the barrel/action off the stock, Savage suggests 25 inch pounds. NOTE inch pounds NOT foot pounds for re assembly. Use a torch tip cleaner (welding)
    to clean vent liner. It is available at Home Depot or Lowes .

Now to my original problem. There were articles on getting ready to hunt in Africa, and a multitude of articles on hunting individual animals, "Want to shoot a bear?" Long range shooting, accurate loads on and on. NO ONE ARTICLE was about the fun of taking the MLII to the range for a day of painless shooting. I ask for loads in the 1500 fps range..

I have decided I am the loan shooter of the MLII who is not interested in killing any thing more than a piece of paper. To anyone who happens on the blog, I hope you are not on the same journey as I. It is a dark and lonely place. I fear not. I have my trusty Savage ML II fully loaded to a shoulder breaking velocity with the biggest bullet I can find. I am safe.

eleyxring Olahoma

You mentioned reduced loads with AA 5744. How low can you go with this powder??

eley

Team Savage
    For reduced recoil loads, I would start with 36 grains of Accurate 5744 and the Hornady XTP 250 bullets with short MMP sabots. This is a proven powder, bullet, sabot combination for the Savage 10ML. MV should be around 1500 FPS with reduced recoil and good accuracy.

Thank You. You are the first to give me any real usable information. I made an order with MMP this morning. The lady there gave me a lot of time and was
    VERY helpful.

If that was Connie at MMP she is great. N110 is also another good choice for reduced loads. Its very temp stable and much cleaner than 5744. SR4759 might work too but lighter book loads are already producing rather low peak pressures. Since you have a bunch i would try it for sure. 36gr of SR4759 and a good tight sabot like the MMP short black. Probably a good idea to use a mag primer but ive had great luck using just Win209s.

Alliant 2400 was actually used early on. Around 32-34gr was max with a 250gr. Never tried it myself.

IMR 4759 it is most certainly a savage factory recommended powder to be used in the MLII
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

SR4759 is a great all around powder for the MLII. My personal fun loads end up around 36gr-39gr of N110 with a 225gr bullet. N110 is a tad more temp stable than SR4759 especially when we are talking about reduced loads. N110 produces quite a bit more peak pressure too unless you have the old metal can 4759 which is closer to N110 grain for grain. Ive never tried lower loads with 4759 in a 50cal but it worked pretty good in a 45cal conversion. It would easily beat BH209 speeds without blowing sabots.

In my custom built 50cal it takes about 3-4gr more of 4759 to match N110 in speed but 4759 peak pressure is still less with more common load data. (Savage Book Loads) Much less if shooting a 300gr bullet.

This load came highly recommended by the former owner of the Modern Muzzleloader forum. It was listed as one of his most accurate loads. You could probably switch out to a cheaper 225gr for recreation. Yours may need a tighter fitting sabot.
    Barnes 225gr .451 XPB
    34-36gr N-110
    Harvester short black sabot
    CCI 209 primer

Basic Member
    I thought 4759 was not made any longer although there may still be some around. I have had good success with it but never used the low powder charges.