Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: •••idea for a 25-06•••?

Basic Member

A well stocked Ace Hardware should have the screws you need that you can buy one by one or two by two.

Congrats on your acquisition!

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Spot View Post
    Well, I purchased the rifle for $160 out the door
    Ya done good. If your lucky, it may have the older 3 screw trigger that will adjust down to a nice trigger pull. True Value also carries the 1/4X28 bolts in various lengths.

GaCop, thanks!
    i will check the hardware stores. Been busy lately, but will check and see about the trigger.
    Hopeing i can locate a decent used standard barrel soon. If not, i will save up some coin and order one.

Well, i have a barrel on the way(or will be). $35 shipped from a generous man on this forum!

Basic Member
    Glad you found a barrel! You have all the tools to change it out? Where in AR are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    Glad you found a barrel! You have all the tools to change it out? Where in AR are you?
    Have a friend who has the tools and has made the changes before.
    Lonoke area.
    it'll be time to locate dies and a lee case trimmer soon.
    Have 60 cases coming($8 shipped!)

Have more components coming in soon. Old barrel is off(friend had to do the pipe wrench and stand on the nut wrench to break loose).
    Hoping the new barrel will be installed shortly.
    Only have $272 invested(donor, barrel, brass, case trimmer, bullets, dies, and reload book)

Well, still waitin for gauges to show up. Once barrel is set-up i can get back together. Already acquired bullets and brass.

Basic Member
    I do not buy no go gauges. With the barrel nut system the go gage is all that is needed. I use a layer or two of tape on the go gage to make it a temporary no go.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissfan View Post
    I have swapped barrels on a long action flat back without any issues. Scope mounts (one or two piece) are available as are stocks. I would buy it without hesitation.
    What scope mount would you recommend? Does anyone make a rail mount that is configured for the flat back receiver?

Basic Member
    I have a flat back 110 in 25-06. Great deer rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mdharris68 View Post
    What scope mount would you recommend? Does anyone make a rail mount that is configured for the flat back receiver?
    EGW (Evolution Gun Works) makes one.
    The problem I have with them are that they sit up so high off of the action and also sometimes depending on the scope bell it wants to hit the rail before I can get the scope in the position I want. In my opinion the rails are just a bunch of extra material serving no positive purpose on my rifles.

Just my recommendation but I like a 2 piece setup because they provide better access to the loading/ejection port for both loading and maintenance.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    thanks

New barrel is installed. Will get everything back together as soon as i get it back from my friend.
    How critical is the inch pounds tightening on the action screws?

Basic Member
    Your plastic stock has steel pillars. I usually torque these between 45-55 inch pounds. Some run less but the flimsy plastic stocks bend with recoil and have a tendency to work the screws loose.
    Others may have different opinions but this works for me.

Basic Member
    I set mine at 35, but I don’t shoot a lot so mine usually stays set. Check settings after a few shots to be sure, use fat wrench which is handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all back together. Now to load some handloads and get the scope sighted in.

Well, i got the rifle sighted in using some 117 gr hdy bullets with varget powder. Managed 1/2" group at 50 yds by resting elbows over a bench. Next will be to find a good load at 100 yds with 100 gr bullets. I'll fine tune my loads at 100 and then check the group at 200 also

Basic Member
    Sounds like you are well on your way! I like the 25-06 a lot. It is the last AXIS rifle that I own and pretty accurate. I have less than 50 rounds through it and it is under an inch at 100 with just the trigger spring clipped. It is super flat shooting with those 117's and I just let my mom borrow it for deer hunting since the .270 was just a little much for her.

I planned on doing load testing for it, but I have a rule that I don't do load testing unless I have 100 rounds through the barrel without cleaning copper so that it is about as fast as it will be. I have the test loads all ready, but since my mom has the rifle and it probably won't make it back to me until she quits deer hunting for good, and it won't likely have 50 more rounds through it for the rest of her life.... I am guessing that I will never get it tested for a better load. I have a feeling she will outlive me.

Tested the sierra 100 gr bt with 42-43 gr of varget in .5 gr increments. 2" groups at 100, opned up to 3.5" at the 43 gr load.

Basic Member
    OP what are your plans for barrel spec? From what I remember reading on the 25-06 kinda of put it in the same predicament as 243 win. Standard factory set-ups were rifled too slow for heavier bullets of today.... hence we have the 6mm creedmoor.

Though stranger things have happened, the burn rate of Varget may be a little too fast for your 25-06.
    When doing load development for my 1st 25-06 (a 22" sporter) I tried quite a few powders and every bullet weight imaginable from 75gr to 120gr with 100gr bullets seeming to be the best for me.
    Then as suggested by a long time buddy I started using Reloader 22 and it made a huge difference. Now Reloader 22 is my go to for 25-06.
    They may be a little more pricey but the 110gr Nosler Accubond is my go to bullet and both the 110 sporter I built for my son when he was 10 or 11 and my 110FP heavy barrel will flat stack em in a dime. Each will shoot the other rifles preferred load well but each prefers a different charge weight for maximum accuracy. I can usually save a few bucks buying 110gr Accubond seconds from shooters pro shop and not only have they been stupid accurate for me, they flat out hammer deer. Maybe try a box and see how they work out for you. Sometimes when trying to shop economically I have to wait and order the 110gr Accubond seconds when Shooters Pro Shop has them available as they usually sell out pretty quick, I usually order a couple of hundred at a time because shipping is $13.
    Now my load may not be your load and Your Mileage May Vary but this combo is what has been stellar for me in 2 rifles.
    Something else I found that I'm sure you'll read while doing research is: The general consensus according to the internet is that a 25-06 has to have a 26" barrel. I can assure you not one of the targets with dime sized groups in the bullseye nor the pile of dead deer harvested over the years, have complained one bit about being shot with a 22" barrel.
    Good luck and I hope you get her dialed in soon.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 04-08-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks for the replies.
    The goal is 100 gr bullet at around 3000-3100 fps.
    Buddy of mine is going to let me try some imr-4350.
    I do have a few 100 gr ballistic tip hunters to try also.

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Spot View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    The goal is 100 gr bullet at around 3000-3100 fps.
    Buddy of mine is going to let me try some imr-4350.
    I do have a few 100 gr ballistic tip hunters to try also.
    A 100gr over 3000fps should be easily obtainable. Using 100gr NBTs over IMR4350 actually was the best load I found prior to being turned on to RL22. Killed several deer with good success using it. My current hunting load with RL22 is pushing the 110AB right at 3200 and really puts the lights out.

Buddy of mine gave me some 4350 and rl-19 to try. We'll see how that goes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast