Thread: .224 75 grain scirrocco II thoughts

.224 75 grain scirrocco II thoughts

I didn't get much action on my 22-243 thread so we'll try it this way. Has anyone been developing loads with bullet in the hotter 22 calibers? I loaded some in 22-243 mid and got a couple of keyholes. I'm still waiting on my kinetic bullet puller because I don't want to waste 15 of these high dollars babies! Barrel has less than 200 rounds through it slow fired and no really hot loads. It is a 28" mgm encore with I believe a 1 n 7 twist. I haven't checked my crown yet but the barrel looks good inside. Load was 44 gr. of 4350 SC. It could have been 4831 SC but either way should have stabilized. MGM uses Shilen match barrels and I've yet to get much copper out of it however I will be checking that and the crown next. Just curious if people have been working with this bullet and what their thoughts on it were. Thanks

Basic Member
    At what distance were you getting keyholes ?
    What sort of velocities were you working with?

It is possible that the bullet had not had time to stabilize yet.
    It may have been unstable at 100yds but was stable at 200 yards.

Next thing to check would be the crown.

I would verify the twist rate of the barrel.

Also being it is a longer bullet it takes more spin to stabilize....the physically longer the bullet the faster twist barrel you need. 1:7 may not have enough twist until you get to higher velocities. Being you mentioned some keyholes, I suspect that may go away with higher velocity as you may be on the edge of stability.

Basic Member
    Makes no difference at what range it keyholes, bullets flying sideways will never recover. Bullets that are not quite stable yet will leave an oblong hole in the shorter range target. 1-7" twist will stabilize any bullet made for .224", especially at those speeds.
    Chances are: 1. The twist rate is not actually a 1-7".
    2. You have some faulty bullets.
    3. You have hard carbon fouling.
    I tried some Sciroccos once, and they didn't impress me. Hard to beat 80 gr. SMK's.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thanks guys, I'll check what you said. I found out I was using 4831 SC which my load works well with other bullets this weight but may be a little light for this bullet. I will post what I find out. thanks again.

I talked to Swift bullets yesterday. He seemed to think that my load was plenty strong. Advised me to check my twist and I got around to it last eve. It is definitely a 1 in 8 twist. I looked at my crown and it seemed ok but I'll get a magnifier and look closer. This barrel is super smooth and doesn't get coppered up very bad but there was definitely some fouling so I'm going to clean it really good, double check that crown and maybe shoot some more groups with my load I was describing earlier. I will post what I find out.

My crown looks good but I'm wanting more magnification to look at it to be sure. My barrel was fouled pretty bad. I could feel it when pushing a dry patch through it to check my twist. I had to lube it pretty good to get the rifling to turn the patch. I had to soak it twice with wipe-out to get all of it out. It appears the fouling was catching quite a bit of the pure copper off the Swift bullets but it's clean and shiny now! I will probly go ahead and shoot the rest of my loads over my chrono to see for sure what the speed is and keep watch on how quick the barrel fouls. At least a few rounds. I checked a tool that tells you if your bullet is stabilized in your barrel and it said mine was optimum. I could even give up a lot of velocity and it would still be so. I admit I have been a little lax in cleaning this bore but in breaking in I could hardly get it to foul! So I've probly fired it 150 rounds since a thorough cleaning. One more report to follow with velocity and accuracy of this load. 22-243 middlestead with 75 gr. Swift Scirrocco bullets 44.0 gr. H4831sc and Fed 210 primers.
    The smarter I get the more stuff I don't know!