Thread: Stith mount

Stith mount

I have this set up on my rifle. http://www.savage99.com/stith4.htm

Is there modern scope that will fit? Any options to brighten up this scope? It's ok but nothing like modern glass.

Basic Member
    This place restores old Weavers, they might help if you want to keep it original. http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

Otherwise, you'd have to find a new scope with the same dimensions to fit the mount! Or find another vintage scope, lots of them on E bay.

I have the same set up on a 99, has Weaver 2.5x, still usable but I don't hunt, just shoot for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    This place restores old Weavers, they might help if you want to keep it original. http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

Otherwise, you'd have to find a new scope with the same dimensions to fit the mount! Or find another vintage scope, lots of them on E bay.

I have the same set up on a 99, has Weaver 2.5x, still usable but I don't hunt, just shoot for fun.
    Any ideas how to exactly ID my scope? There are no markings I can see.

Basic Member
    I was assuming it was a K4 like in the Stith add. Can you post any pictures??

No idea how to do pics here. It looks just like the Stith ad. Searching online looks like several K4 series. I'd like to figure out what year and if it's El Paso which seems to be favored.

Basic Member
    If it is a K series then it's probably late 40's to early 50's, when Stith mounts became popular. BTW, those mounts a semi-rare and can be worth $300+.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    If it is a K series then it's probably late 40's to early 50's, when Stith mounts became popular. BTW, those mounts a semi-rare and can be worth $300+.
    That's my guess as the gun was made in 1929. I'm trying to find out if the guy that sold it to the shop I got it from bought it new. Judging by his age it's possible...

Basic Member
    To answer the original question, a 1 inch tube tactical scope of sufficient length would appear to adapt to the Stith mount. The trick would be to find one long enough, since they tend to be short. Even if it is long enough to mount, it might not provide sufficient eye relief.

If it's a K4 it won't fit the mount because the front tube of the Stith is made for scopes without a bell and the K4's had a bell.

A K3 or K2.5 will work though.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    If it's a K4 it won't fit the mount because the front tube of the Stith is made for scopes without a bell and the K4's had a bell.

A K3 or K2.5 will work though.
    That's what I thought, too, but apparently they did make them for belled scopes.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Do you have a photo of a Stith mount for a scope with an objective bell?

Basic Member

Thumbs Up K4 in Stith Mount

You need to measure the ID if the front mount tube and the OD of the objective bell of possible scopes.

If you cannot find an exact fit, you can shim with shim stock from brownells.

IME an excellent condition El Paso K4 with the correct dimenstions (they changed thru the years) is a fine scope and will work well for most hunting situaltions.

Should you decide it's too much work, get a Lightfoot mount and I'll buy your Stith (and no they are not a $300 item)

99 takedown has not been on in a couple of years. AND It is a well known fact that the "Sith" were dedicated to the dark side of "The Force" ya know...Just sayin!