Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Stith mount

  1. #1
    New Member 99 takedown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9

    Stith mount

    I have this set up on my rifle. http://www.savage99.com/stith4.htm


    Is there modern scope that will fit? Any options to brighten up this scope? It's ok but nothing like modern glass.

  2. #2
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    This place restores old Weavers, they might help if you want to keep it original. http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

    Otherwise, you'd have to find a new scope with the same dimensions to fit the mount! Or find another vintage scope, lots of them on E bay.

    I have the same set up on a 99, has Weaver 2.5x, still usable but I don't hunt, just shoot for fun.

  3. #3
    New Member 99 takedown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    This place restores old Weavers, they might help if you want to keep it original. http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

    Otherwise, you'd have to find a new scope with the same dimensions to fit the mount! Or find another vintage scope, lots of them on E bay.

    I have the same set up on a 99, has Weaver 2.5x, still usable but I don't hunt, just shoot for fun.
    Any ideas how to exactly ID my scope? There are no markings I can see.

  4. #4
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    I was assuming it was a K4 like in the Stith add. Can you post any pictures??

  5. #5
    New Member 99 takedown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9
    No idea how to do pics here. It looks just like the Stith ad. Searching online looks like several K4 series. I'd like to figure out what year and if it's El Paso which seems to be favored.

  6. #6
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    If it is a K series then it's probably late 40's to early 50's, when Stith mounts became popular. BTW, those mounts a semi-rare and can be worth $300+.

  7. #7
    New Member 99 takedown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    If it is a K series then it's probably late 40's to early 50's, when Stith mounts became popular. BTW, those mounts a semi-rare and can be worth $300+.
    That's my guess as the gun was made in 1929. I'm trying to find out if the guy that sold it to the shop I got it from bought it new. Judging by his age it's possible...

  8. #8
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Seattle Metro
    Age
    58
    Posts
    36
    To answer the original question, a 1 inch tube tactical scope of sufficient length would appear to adapt to the Stith mount. The trick would be to find one long enough, since they tend to be short. Even if it is long enough to mount, it might not provide sufficient eye relief.

  9. #9
    Vintage Savage Guru Mad Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ont, Canada
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,412
    If it's a K4 it won't fit the mount because the front tube of the Stith is made for scopes without a bell and the K4's had a bell.

    A K3 or K2.5 will work though.
    Savage- "never say never".

  10. #10
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    If it's a K4 it won't fit the mount because the front tube of the Stith is made for scopes without a bell and the K4's had a bell.

    A K3 or K2.5 will work though.
    That's what I thought, too, but apparently they did make them for belled scopes.

  11. #11
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270

  12. #12
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Seattle Metro
    Age
    58
    Posts
    36
    Do you have a photo of a Stith mount for a scope with an objective bell?

Similar Threads

  1. Stith Scope Mounts and Tang Sights
    By mmesa005 in forum Vintage Centerfire Rifles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2016, 01:41 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 11:08 PM
  3. Stith Mounts: Savage M-99 Weaver K.4 Scope
    By jimm7007 in forum Vintage Centerfire Rifles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
  5. Stith Mount for a Model 99
    By gunpoor in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •