Thread: New to Savage with an M11 Question.........

New to Savage with an M11 Question.........

Picked up a used Savage M11 in .223 with a 22 inch heavy barrel. It has a Nikon 4-12X40 Prostaff scope mounted on it. Got it for $350 off a guy at the range who is moving and did not want it anymore. It appears barely fired. I have two questions.

1.) Which model of the M11 is it?

2.) What is the twist rate, so I know what to feed it?

Thanks for any assistance.

AJ

Basic Member
    Need more info to try and place it in the lineage of M11s.

Does it have an Accu-Trigger?
    Does is have an upper bolt release or a bolt release in front of the trigger guard?
    If it has an upper bolt release if it was manufactured before 2013.
    A lower bolt release would indicate that it has an Accu-Stock.

Twist rates on .223 Savages are normally 1:9 but some of the newer target models come in 1:7. I would doubt that you have one of those.
    You can check the twist rate with a cleaning rod and a patch. Count the number of times the cleaning rod turns and divide the number of inches of barrel by the number of turns.
    A 22 inch barrel should turn 2.44 time for a 1:9 twist or 3.14 times if it is a 1:7 twist.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    Need more info to try and place it in the lineage of M11s.

Does it have an Accu-Trigger?
    Does is have an upper bolt release or a bolt release in front of the trigger guard?
    If it has an upper bolt release if it was manufactured before 2013.
    A lower bolt release would indicate that it has an Accu-Stock.

Twist rates on .223 Savages are normally 1:9 but some of the newer target models come in 1:7. I would doubt that you have one of those.
    You can check the twist rate with a cleaning rod and a patch. Count the number of times the cleaning rod turns and divide the number of inches of barrel by the number of turns.
    A 22 inch barrel should turn 2.44 time for a 1:9 twist or 3.14 times if it is a 1:7 twist.

1.) Yes, it has an Accu-Trigger.

2.) Bolt release is in front of trigger guard.

Basic Member
    Then you have a relatively new model 11.
    I have a 11 VT in .22-250 with a 1:12 twist that has an Accu-stock and Accu-trigger.
    Having an Accu-stock is a positive because it is aluminum pillar bedded and it makes the stock more rigid.
    I bought the 11 VT .22-250 about 2 years ago from Dick's and it came with a Bushnell 4-12x40mm scope.
    It was on sale and I paid just over $400 for it, if I remember correctly and it qualified for a $ 50 rebate so it was a good deal.
    It shoots very accurately, like all my Savage rifles and I am very pleased with it.

It might have been a 'specially made' configuration for a store like Dick's or Cabela's.
    The 12 FV model with a 26 inch barrel that has a very complimentary following on this forum is 'specially made' for Cabela's and has been documented on this forum as being very accurate.
    So 'specially made' isn't a necessarily a negative and only means that the store that ordered it specified the barrel and features that were outside of the standard configurations that Savage markets.

Since yours has a Nikon scope, it might not have been a 'kit' rifle like my 11 VT or someone decided to replace the scope that came with a 'kit' rifle with a favorite brand.
    The mounted scope with scope rail adds value.

I would suspect that it is a 1:9 twist like most Savage .223 Rem rifles.
    The 1:7 twist barrels seem to be reserved for the higher end varmint versions.
    My .22-250 and my .223s all like 52 and 53 grain target Sierra Match Kings and 52 grain Berger #22408 flat based bullets.
    They also shoot 40 grain Nosler BT & 55 Berger #22410s well but the 52 & 53 grain bullets are the most accurate by just a bit - you have to be an accuracy nut like me and measure groups in the thousandths to notice the differences.
    A 1:9 twist in a .223 should stabilize up to 63 grain bullets and some might even stabilize 69 grain bullets, but it will depend upon the particular rifle barrel.

Good luck with your new rifle and don't be afraid to experiment a bit with bullet weights and ammo. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post

You don't have to do the full length and calculate. You can determine the twist rate by inserting a cleaning rod (with tight patch or brush) and marking it with tape at the muzzle, then pulling it out until it makes one full turn. Then measure the distance from muzzle to the tape. 1 turn in ? inches.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Your 9 twist will stabilize up to an including 75 gr bullets. Australian Outback 69 gr should shoot very well, and is quite deadly on game. For small game and varmints the American Eagle 50 gr (tipped if you can find it) or any hollow point or tipped ammo in 50 to 55 grain are worth a try to see what your gun likes.

You'll probably notice that by the time you have made 4 to 5 shots starting with a cold barrel, shots will start wondering off from point of aim as the barrel heats up.

For more information on your rifle you can call Savage customer service with your serial number and they will tell you what model it was when it left the factory.

Finally, read up on torque tuning the rear action screw to get best accuracy from your new purchase.

Welcome to the land of the barrel nut!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.