I have been fighting with this little gun for a while now, trying to get it to shoot well. I bought it last year as an elk rifle for my 13 year old. Its a 16 LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor with the tupperware stock and stainless. For the life of me, I cannot get this little gun to shoot. Initially, it was spitting out 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards, regardless of ammo. I do not handload, and part of the reason for going 6.5CM was the availability and variety of factory ammo.
After the intial few trips to the range, I took the rifle and skim bedded the action in the flimsy stock. I also took carbon arrow shafts and set them in JB Weld in the forearm in an attempt to stiffen it up. Got everything put back together, and went to the range again. Still, getting 2" groups pretty consistently.
I read some articles about "how to shoot a lightweight rifle" and took another trip yesterday. The best group I managed was 1 3/8" .

While thats not horrible, and more than adequate if this were going to be a deer rifle for my nephew in NC, it doesn't inspire the confidence necessary to take a poke a mulie at 300 yards or more, or spring bear, or cow elk. MY question is, especially to the guys that have one of these rifles... Am I pretty much at the max for what one of these little lightweight guns will do in its stock configuration? (ie. cheap stock, pencil thin barrel, very light weight) Would it be worth taking a detour from the lightweight theme, putting it in a boyds stock, etc. and seeing if I can end up with a 7lb. rifle that shoots better?