Thread: Adjustable length of pull

Adjustable length of pull

So if this has already been discussed I apologize but I could not find it so here we go. I’m trying to find a rifle for my 10 year old to hunt with and with him being of smaller stature it is diffficult. While at academy sports the salesman and I were discussing my options and he brought out a savage axis xp2 and was telling me it has a spacer system on the rear of the stock and it appears to have that to my eye. But I can’t find any info anywhere saying that it is a spacer system on this stock so I’m hoping some of you guys will know

Basic Member
    I think you are referring to the new style Axis plastic stock.I have only seen pictures of them,but they look like they have a removable section on the butt,however I saw a guy reviewing one on YouTube,and according to him the piece(or what looks like a piece) is not removable.I ordered one on Thanksgiving day from Rural King,and when it comes in I will know more..I ordered the Axis because they were having a sale,and it will have a $60 rebate..That being said Kentucky Gun Company has been running great deals on Smith, and Wesson T.C. Compass rifles,they come with a $50 rebate .I ordered mine with the Vortex Crossfire2,but I think the plain rifle is around $250,which is $200 with rebate.Shipping is free..I am pleased with mine considering the price tag..The Compass rifles have a short length of pull .I have one Axis standard size,and one youth model,and even though the compass has a 22" barrel the L.O.P. is about like the youth model.

Basic Member
    You could go ahead and get the youth Axis to use now and get a regular stock to change out later. I just put a regular stock on my grandson's 7mm-08 youth Axis this year, I think I got it on ebay for about $30. If you don't want to keep the youth stock you could always sell it. I put Roctite in the forearm and stock to stiffen and add a little weight to help with recoil.
    Last edited by Wayne Nixon; 12-03-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added comment

The new Axis stock does not have an adjustable LOP. That feature is only found on select 110 models with synthetic stocks. The new updated Axis stock appears to have a removable spacer (one) that looks to be 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" in length which I would assume takes the stock from a youth length to an adult length.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I'll echo Wayne. Get you a model with the youth stock now and snag an adult stock later (nice boyds perhaps)- if a longer stock is necessary. I don't have a long LOP, but I've always felt more comfortable with a shorter LOP on my stock anyway due to shooting a Marlin Buckaroo more than any other rifle. I bought an axis with a wood stock and immediately took an inch of the stock.
    A painted turd is still a turd...