Thread: Scope options MSR10

Scope options MSR10

I just picked up a 308 MSR10 Hunter and I'm looking to put a good tactical scope on it. Something that is good at short range and long range. I don't know much about scopes and it gets quite overwhelming with all the options out there. So my price range I would like to stay under 500. Im looking for something with good 500yard range and up close range with a quick transition. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

take a look at the Athlon range of scopes... They supposedly track very well for a lower budget scope and the glass is supposed to be pretty good too. You'll have to choose a magnification range that works for you, but I'd say a 4-16X scope should service your needs pretty well.

Basic Member
    Define tactical and short range. Are you looking for a CQB type setup and 1x red dot capability? Then maybe something like a Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS or Vortex Strike Eagle. If you have bad eyes or want something that is more target oriented then I like the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16. I have an Athlon and the Vortex DB and like the Vortex reticle a lot more...but the Athlon has illumination. The glass seems similar enough to call it a draw.

I'm just the opposite. I had the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44. I swapped it for an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 and am glad I did. Besides the IR it also has parallax adjustment and is ffp. It is hands down a better all around scope to me. Of course, having it on a 22lr makes a difference.

This my Athlon on my Mkll FVSR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    cameralandny.com is having some great sales. I would recommend the Athalon Midas BTR 2.5-15x50. It should be great up close and be able to reach out! I just got mine in the mail yesterday. It is on sale for $250, and is really nice. Regular price is about twice that price. I think with that sale it is going to be hard to beat for something that can be both a good close range and a distance scope.

It has really good glass, the turrets feel good, and they have a reputation for good tracking, and the field of view at 2.5 power is pretty fantastic.
    It is literally the cheapest scope I have when considering the sale price, and it is really nice.
    The only drawbacks are that it is Second focal plane (not a drawback for some), and the turrets are a bit east to turn... not mushy, just too easy to turn.

Don't over scope it.
    I'd be all over this one for myself if they'd only ship to Georgia. Stupid good price and I've been using Burris for a couple of decades and had great success with their products.
    https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mta...dot-matte.html
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Dont over scope it.
    Is that possible?

Jester

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Is that possible?

Oh Yeah, it's quite possible, ARs already have a really tall profile from the scope turret to the bottom of the mag or grip, Also many folks choose something that starts at 6X+ which aint worth squat when that buck walks right by your stand at 40' and all you can see is a brown blob. The OP didn't really state the use of his rifle. I'd recommend the Burris above simply because I have one on a heavy barreled rifle and I like it a lot and the deal is just too good to pass up especially for anyone on a budget. The only drawback to that particular model is thick crosshairs. I have a couple of flat top M4geries with early model 1.5-4x Leupold and 3-9x Leupold Mark ARs great scopes and I actually prefer the 1.5-4x for field use. 1.5x is great with both eves open and 4z puts me on the money a good ways out.

Oh Yeah, it's quite possible, ARs already have a really tall profile from the scope turret to the bottom of the mag or grip, Also many folks choose something that starts at 6X+ which aint worth squat when that buck walks right by your stand at 40' and all you can see is a brown blob. The OP didn't really state the use of his rifle. I'd recommend the Burris above simply because I have one on a heavy barreled rifle and I like it a lot and the deal is just too good to pass up especially for anyone on a budget. The only drawback to that particular model is thick crosshairs. I have a couple of flat top M4geries with early model 1.5-4x Leupold and 3-9x Leupold Mark ARs great scopes and I actually prefer the 1.5-4x for field use. 1.5x is great with both eves open and 4z puts me on the money a good ways out.
    I was being facetious but that is hard to convey on the web.

Jester

Basic Member
    I'm just the opposite. I had the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44. I swapped it for an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 and am glad I did. Besides the IR it also has parallax adjustment and is ffp. It is hands down a better all around scope to me. Of course, having it on a 22lr makes a difference.
    My Vortex is the new model and has side parallax and FFP as well.

And yes, you can completely over scope a rifle. To me the 10 Hunter is a "lightweight" AR10 and I would be hesitant to put a pig of a scope on it. My AR10 is wearing a Nikon Prostaff 5 in 3.5-14. It does everything I want while being pretty light.

In all truth you could go really cheap and light and put a Buckmaster 4-12 on it and hit steel plates all day long at 500 yards. To each their own....

I WAS BEING FACETIOUS about it being about being possible to over scoping a rifle.

Jester

Sorry man, To my dismay I've been missing a lot of "sarcasm" on the web lately.

Sorry man, To my dismay I've been missing a lot of "sarcasm" on the web lately.
    Easy to do on a computer screen. I should have noted it or added an emoticon to make it more clear.

Jester

Is that possible?
    Definitely. Sarcasm or no.

I hunt at 5X by default on a 3-9x scope because of available light and picking a window through tree cover. Weight is also a concern if you have to carry it in or still hunt all day and then shoot without a stable rest.

But then I'm old and lazy and don't like to carry more weight than I have to. Maybe I need an ATV?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

This is good advice. They sold for more than 500 several years back. Small lightweight and clear glass. The only complaint is the AO parallax can be a little tight on some scopes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.