Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scopes - am I doing it wrong?

Basic Member

While they don't allow windage adjustments, the Burris Signature Zee rings will allow the scope to self center in misaligned rings. Windage and elevation can also be adjusted by the use of the inserts. I use them on my centerfires.
    The only downside is that they do not come in low, just med and high.

Basic Member
    It appears to be eye relief. In the picture posted above, you can, on a push, get about 3/4" of forward movement of the scope. A long rail would give you more freedom of placement. Also, you may want higher rings rather than those lower down.

This is good advice.
    I had a factory mounted scope on a Savage Axis and when I got to the range I couldn't get a decent grouping.
    Found that the base mount screws weren't tightened down, much less torqued to the receiver.
    Took the rifle back home and removed everything and used some acetone to clean the threads, broke out the locktite and started to assemble back up.

Dave

Basic Member
    For scopes with no Parallax adjustment many shooters adjust their eye relief so that a scope shadow shows around the scope to assure their eye is centered in the scope.

Basic Member
    Weaver 420M is a low profile, one piece base for your rifle. I have one and it works great for me because I like to keep my scopes close to the barrel. It has a half moon cutout for loading rounds.

Basic Member
    A common problem with many, including Savage front scope ring base holes is that a too long screw will bottom out against the barrel tenon threads, and not tighten the scope ring base to the action as it should. To check for this error, remove the scope and rings, and rear screw on the front base, and see if the base is still tight. If loose, remove the screw and get a shorter one, or shorten it by grinding off a thread or two until you can torque it (20 INCH pounds) and the base is tight. Use a thread setting compound like LockTite on all ring and rail mounting screws.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsb3 View Post
    I think you can get a longer front base. One that would over hang the front of the ejection port by about 1/8"-3/16th. The one piece base is definitely stronger.
    A Weaver base #402 will allow the scope to move up to an inch toward the shooter. If I were buying the Weaver #402, I would also replace the rear base with a Weaver #46 use to be sure the height of both is the same.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsb3 View Post
    I think you can get a longer front base. One that would over hang the front of the ejection port by about 1/8"-3/16th. The one piece base is definitely stronger.
    I'm always trying to shave weight off my hutning rifles, so that's what I use - the Weaver base with the extended portion on the front of the receiver. That allows me a little room to position the scope forward and back.

I also agree about checking and replacing the factory mounts. I've never kept a single Savage factory mount and I've pulled a bunch off my buddy's rifles over the years to fix their shooting issues. It's disappointing to me, that inexpensive as quality bases and mounts are, Savage continues to put NON-WEAVER COMPATIBLE steel bases and POS rings on their package rifles. Their rifles and the package Nikon scopes deserve better. In every case where I've had or seen a problem, the bases and rings were literally the weak link. I would never trust those and definitely wouldn't trust that they were mounted correctly by someone at the factory, much less bore sighted anywhere close.

Get used to doing your own research and work on your rifle, and you will be very happy in the long run. You have a great rifle and a very good scope. That's the expensive stuff. The rest is cheap and easy to replace.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will go with a weaver one piece base to give me the adjustability you have suggested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12