Thread: Savage 99G ??

Savage 99G takedown

My long time dream caliber became a reality this past saturday. I decided to stop in my favorite pawn shop today and spied a box of 250 Savage ammo. I immediately ask if there is a rifle that goes with that ammo. He says I haven't seen one, but let me go in the back and check guns that came in Friday. After a few minutes he comes out with this beauty. I start drooling and my mind racing remembering all the prices I've seen over the years I've been looking for one. I've seen everywhere from $800-$1800 for 99's. I google the serial number and it was made in 1929. It's not perfect but it's in amazing shape to be 89 years old. I can't stand it anymore and nervously ask the price. A phone call to the owner and he comes back with..... you've been a long time good customer, how about what we paid... $600 OTD with the box of ammo!! Now I must have looked like a computer having a hard drive crash, standing mouth open, eyes rapidly blinking. I'LL TAKE IT!!!!

I got it home and I've been researching it like crazy since. The first thing I found out is it's a takedown!! Best I can figure is it's a 99G. It matches what I've read other than the front sight isn't dovetailed into the barrel, it is dovetailed in to a mount on the barrel. It has a Stith mount and what I think is a Weaver K4 scope. Research says the barrel is a 1:14 twist so I ordered Speer 87 gr Hot Core bullets, and new Remington brass. For now it's sighted in dead on at 50 yards with Remington 100 gr core lokts, perfect for my woods hunting range. I would add some pics but I don't how on here. Any more ID info would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Sounds like a great deal. A take down WITH a Stith mount. $600 was a steal!! The mount is worth about #300++. I have the same rig, in .30-30, 1930 production if I recall.

I'm looking forward to hunting with the old gal on saturday.

Basic Member
    Thank you for sharing a happy story of a great find! Happy hunting!