Thread: 12Btcss 22-250, which ogive type best for stock stainless barrel

12Btcss 22-250, which ogive type best for stock stainless barrel

I have not had chance to try different types of bullets, but am curious about your experience with which shapes are best with stock barrel and Savage setup in relation to jump to lands. Some rifles shoot better secant ogives like Vmax others prefer gentler sloping shapes like Amax or sierra types or hybrids like Bergers. I reload and can't buy every bullet, but maybe shared experiences can confirm which ones are best in this model.

Basic Member
    My 12 VLP in 22-250 has the factory 1:12 twist heavy barrel. I've been experimenting with 50 and 55 grain Vmax bullets with very good results. Mine seems to like a little jump to the lands.

My BVSS in 22-250 shoots 10 shot groups you can cover with a dime using 55gr Vmax and Varget with Winchester primers.
    I do remember trying 3 different primers (federal 210M, CCI BR2s, and Winchester WLR) and that the primer made a big difference between silver dollar size groups and dime size groups. After that combo worked so well I stopped looking.
    Not sure if I just got lucky or what because after shooting some factory 45gr Winchester ammo to get some fire formed brass it was the first bullet/powder I tried.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    My BVSS in 22-250 shoots 10 shot groups you can cover with a dime using 55gr Vmax and Varget with Winchester primers.
    I do remember trying 3 different primers (federal 210M, CCI BR2s, and Winchester WLR) and that the primer made a big difference between silver dollar size groups and dime size groups. After that combo worked so well I stopped looking.
    Not sure if I just got lucky or what because after shooting some factory 45gr Winchester ammo to get some fire formed brass it was the first bullet/powder I tried.
    Very cool thanks, seems VMax is a definite winner many people love it in 22-250 period, not just in this Savage. I use R15 for mine but I do have some Varget that I load my 308 with and can certainly try your combination, thanks for sharing.

Basic Member
    +1 on Vmax in my BVSS. 40 and 50 grain Vmax's over Varget shoots lights out!!!! The 45gr white box Winchester shot really well too!

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOT2HUNT View Post
    Very cool thanks, seems VMax is a definite winner many people love it in 22-250 period, not just in this Savage. I use R15 for mine but I do have some Varget that I load my 308 with and can certainly try your combination, thanks for sharing.
    Don't get discouraged if what works in mine doesn't work in yours. Each rifle is an individual. sounds like you have a capable rig just find what it likes. I also know that the techs over at Sierra Bullets have been a great help to me in the past with finding a good place to start with accuracy loads. Sierra "talk to a tech" line 1-800-223-8799
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

My 22-250 likes anything from 50-55 grain Vmax bullets shooting H4895. I'm trying the 53 grain BT V-max next time I reload... Has a better BC than the 55 does.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Don't get discouraged if what works in mine doesn't work in yours. Each rifle is an individual. sounds like you have a capable rig just find what it likes. I also know that the techs over at Sierra Bullets have been a great help to me in the past with finding a good place to start with accuracy loads. Sierra "talk to a tech" line 1-800-223-8799
    Oh great tip, I didnt know about "talk to tech", thank you!

BT's typically do have better BC, but I found I am slowly becoming a believer in SP/ no BT bullets for my purpose, I do not shoot even to 500y, and most of my shooting is for hunting which is within 500y and BT is not likely to make a difference in my shooting in such a short range.

Basic Member
    Don't know if Savage uses different chambering in different models or not. My Axis .223 heavy barrel just loves Sierra 69gn Matchkings (1:9twist). I am trying some 77gn SMK's and Hornady 75gn ELD match. First outing they showed some promise with a 2" group at 200yd. Trying some different charges of Varget this week to see if they will get down to the 1 or 1.5" range. Nosler 69gn match are also less than MOA.

I have not tried a lot of 55gn bullets. The cheap ones do not do well for me. If I am going to spend money for match bullets I may as well get the heavier ones as they do better at longer ranges for me.

makes sense , I have a 223, but I want to hone in my 22-250 to 2 loads one for target practice and small varmints and one for coyotes with a heavier less frangible bullet so I can keep the pelts. And my 22-250 has a 1:12 twist , I do not yet know its limitations in how heavy/long a bullet it is being able to stabilize.

V-Max, or I have great luck with 55 grains Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Both are deadly.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]