Thread: Savage ID

Basic Member

Savage ID

Took this rifle in trade, a 112 in .223. I'm now sure exactly what it is. Perhaps a BVSS or some such. Maybe pictures of the stock [not the carving] could help someone tell me exactly what it is? The serial number is F436XXX. Thanks Gentlemen.

Basic Member
    Is that a glossy finish on the action?

Here is some light reading on the subject of long actions.http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...the-110-series

Your rifle appears to be an assemblage of parts. The serial number will identify your action. The barrel chambering is stamped on the barrel. Twist may or may not be 1/9, others here might have a good idea, or you can check the twist rate yourself with a cleaning rod (search the FAQ's section) if you haven't already.

If you're not thoroughly familiar with Savage rifles, or rifles in general, you might consider a trip to a gunsmith to at least check headspace and have a look down the barrel to see if it's still in good shape.

Welcome to the land of the barrel nut! Great forum for information on Savage history, loading and re-barreling.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Is that a glossy finish on the action?
    Yes but not high gloss.

Nothing visually wrong with the rifle. I will try a no/go gauge & probably have my buddy run the Hawkeye down the bore. It's a long action with a short magazine. I'll take it out of the stock & check the bedding & trigger. Hopefully all is well & it's a shooter. My first Savage.

And thanks for the welcome.

Basic Member
    That's a 1995 production 112 BVSS. Someone has added some embellishments like the slots in the stock, the carving and lettering. It's a 1-9 twist.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thank you sharpshooter. So you think maybe the blued receiver & stainless barrel are a factory combo?

Basic Member
    Yes, they started that in '95 and it lasted till 2001. The 2002 models of the BVSS had stainless receivers and barrels. Starting in 1996, the stocks had a black forend cap and 2 steel pillars. The original '95 model only had a steel front pillar.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."