Hi all, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a model 99 savage in the 300 savage cal. I bought it from a family member almost 40 years after I borrowed it when I was a young teen and shot my first 2 deer with it. It has a model number 538XXX and the LBC is stamped 23C. The history of this gun is really interesting to me and I want to know anything I can about it. It is a bit unique as it has a blond monte carlo stock out of curly maple and has some walnut accents. It does not have a Schnabel on the forearm and is not stamped with the letters after the model number. From what I have seen I am guessing it a 99EG, but I am not at all sure as there are almost no pictures to place this stock to compare to others and it looks too fancy to be a standard model. From the serial it seems to be made in 1951. Also it has a rotatory mag with a round counter on the side.

Due to my personal history with the rifle and the fact that I find it the best looking rifle I have seen I would not sell it, but I am fascinated to find out more about it if possible. It has not been shot since I hunted with it nearly 40 years ago, but I remember that it was a great shooter as well.

If any of you can help me with what type this is, possible value, and anything else I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you could pass.