Thread: Ultralight Stock Options

Ultralight Stock Options

I bought the 12fv last year in 6.5creed, some work later, its an awesome shooter, only problem is its a fat pig and weighs 12lbs!
    I have another Savage short action, I wanted another action to build a 6.5creed ultra light backcountry rifle. And thats where Im at.
    I was looking at CarbonSix barrel, or Proof. Havent made a choice there yet. CarbonSix had blanks on sale for $580 but, not sure If its worth it to me to buy a reamer. How many times am I going to use a $200 reamer?

Everything kinda hindges on the stock. I was hoping to find something under 30oz but options seem very slim. Manners makes some beautiful looking stocks, but I dont like the price. I found quit a few light options if I had a rem700 action.
    I like the Bell and Carlson tactical medalist stock but its 3.5lbs. There is one for sale on gunbroker, kinda what I was thinking of building, and he claims his rifle is 8lbs, so still a little more weight than Im looking for.

Anyone make a light weight, hunting/tactical stock for Savage, under 30oz?

Basic Member
    You will not find many options for the Savage compared to the Rem 700. Savage has introduced so many different action versions that most makers just decided to not keep up. If you are crafty you could get a Boyd's and hog out the butt end to shave off some more weight. But let's face it, a 12FV action will *never* be a light weight gun, no matter what stock it's in. And as an aside I cut down a 12FV .308 to 18" and it removed more than a pound of weight.

Team Savage
    Buy a Savage 11 Light Weight Hunter (LWH) with walnut stock in 6.5 Creedmoor. You'll save a lot of time and money. The stock gives you a solid platform with no forearm flex.
    Replace the plastic trigger guard and DBM assembly with metal parts and bed the action and recoil lug area to optimize accuracy potential. You'll have a 6.5 lb. rifle before you add lightweight rings and scope.
    It will be lighter and cheaper than doing a build with a standard Savage action and any of the current aftermarket stocks based on my experience.

Those look pretty nice.
    Is that light weight Hunter barrel thick enough to thread? I have a brake and suppressor that I will be shooting with.
    I have a Boyd's stock with my other rifle, they are very nice stocks, but way to heavy. Even with removing alot of material it will still be too heavy. And now that that gun shoots .25 moa, I'm not going to take it apart and remove or replace any items. So starting from scratch.
    I haven't weighed the action but it weight can be a crazy amount of weight. I plan on a carbon fiber bolt knob and a fluting the bolt just to shave what ever ounces I can.
    And building it is half the fun.

Basic Member
    If you start with the ULW or LW Storm you have a lightened bolt and action. Might save you some machinist money.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Well, that's not a horrible idea, but I've already got the action to start. And I've got machines at home so not a problem there.
    Just need a super light stock for a decent price