Thread: scout 110 issues with mag

scout 110 issues with mag

Hey everyone. Im new to Savage rifles and just fired my brand new Scout 110 for the first time today. The magazine is loose in the magwell when seated and in 10 rounds, i had a few times where it failed to be in the proper position to load properly. Anyone else have a similar issue? Could it be the magazine?

Could be the mag, try leaving it loaded with rounds for a few days. You could also see if downloading it to 7 or 8 creates the same problem. Is it the magpul AI pattern mag? I have had similar issues with some of my other Magpul AI pattern mags until they got a little use. My older (ie broken in mags) have not had an issue in my brand new 110 Tactical.

Basic Member
    Try loading the loaded magazine into the gun with the bolt open and with the bolt closed. Not sure, but few different weapons have a tough time when the bolt, slide, carrier group, etc. are forward.

I could be mistaken, but i do not think it could be due to the amount of ammo in the mag or whether the bolt is forward or in the rear when the mag is inserted and here is why. The rounds will fail to load throughout the use of a full magazine load, not just the first or last round. It is not consistent for each round. If i push the magazine into the mag well while i am moving the bolt forward it will work. It seems that the magazine does not seat in the magwell securely and if the bolt goes forward, it can either grab a round, or it is too low and will miss the round. I sent an email to Savage to see what they say in the meantime.

Sounds like you found it. If the mag catch is too low (doesn't hold the mag in high enough) it will do exactly what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    Sounds like you found it. If the mag catch is too low (doesn't hold the mag in high enough) it will do exactly what you are describing.
    I guess now, i have to figure out if it is a magazine or a rifle issue. Hopefully Savage will reply soon and offer a good way for them to fix it.

Basic Member
    If your hand is hitting the front of the magazine, that can cause the same issue.

It isnt my hand, I held the rifle on the forward grip area and only touched the mag when trying to get it to load the next round correctly.