Thread: Hunting stock for 10FCP_HS

Basic Member

Hunting stock for 10FCP_HS

Thinking I want to find a lighter stock for my 10 FCP-HS (older one with top bolt release) for elk hunting. Rifle is at 12lbs and I want to shave a few for toting around.
    Suggestions for a stock that won't break the bank that will do this?
    Integrity is easier to keep than to regain.

Basic Member
    I got a B&C Medalist stock for a Howa recently and I like it a lot. I own a Savage but it's an accustock.

The fit & finish on B&C stocks is nice and for the price being ~$279

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    My .308 BAR will be my main rifle, but think it good to have a backup, just in case.
    Integrity is easier to keep than to regain.

Basic Member
    I bet there are tons of 12FV plastic stocks lying around that you could pick up for cheap. Should be more than adequate for hunting. I like the B&C stocks as well, but they are far from "light".

Basic Member
    12 FV stocks are for hidden magazines and unless you want to open up the mag well and replace the hidden mag, you would be better off looking for a replacement that will fit the 10 FCP detachable mag.
    Someone who replaced stocks on any older FCP might be a source for a stock, but some newer FCPs were made with accu-stocks and bolt releases in front of the trigger guard.
    There are lots of stocks available for top bolt release Savages that are set up for detachable mags.
    I believe that Bell & Carlson makes more than one model that would fit a Savage with a detachable mag.
    Also take a look at Boyd's and Stocky's sites to see what other possibilities they might have.
    I would recommend you choose a stock with aluminum bedded posts.
    Aluminum bedded posts provide improved stability over a factory plastic stock without aluminum posts.

Basic Member
    The hidden magazine is nothing but a removable mag with the bottom cover removed. Just get the "L" bracket thingy and pop it right in. I didn't say the 12FV stock was the most quality of items...just cheap and light.

Basic Member
    The "L" bracket thingy isn't the problem although it would have to be added as you indicated. The stock material that blocks the detachable mag hole is the problem I was referring to. It would have to be removed.
    Other than that, the demonstrated accuracy of the 12 FVs with the factory stock shows that it would be a reasonable choice even though there are some who claim it is too flexible.

I have an old 10 FP with a hidden mag and a solid stock that blocked the space that a detachable mag would use. The stock shot fine even though it didn't have the aluminum bed of the later Accu-stocks. I eventually replaced it with an adjustable Bell & Carlson because I discovered that the factory stock was just a bit too short for me. I think I still have the old stock, but it too would have to have the mag well space cut out to allow a detachable mag to be fitted.

Basic Member
    What would be wrong with just using the internal magazine of the 12FV stock? Maybe I missed something.

Basic Member
    I suspect that the HS Precision stock on the 10 FCP-HS has an aluminum pillar bedding system if it is anything like the HS Precision stock on my 12 LRP.
    My 12 LRP uses a standard Savage short-action detachable magazine. The detachable mag isn't the source of the extra weight. The stock itself is.
    The HS precision stock is a pretty heavy stock but it is also absolutely rigid without flex, which is a good thing.
    Switching to a 12 FV stock that doesn't support a detachable magazine, would make the stock lighter but it would also be a lot more flexible.
    There are probably a number of factory 10 FCP stocks with detachable magazines that were replaced with second source stocks by Savage owners. They might be a better choice if sparks1 wants to keep the detachable mag.

As long as sparks1 is willing to ditch the detachable mag for a hidden mag, the 12 FV stock could work, but I didn't get the impression that he wanted to do that.
    Maybe I missed his intention.
    When I switched my 10 FP hidden mag stock for a B&C hidden mag stock, I had to reuse the hidden mag and it's "L shaped thingy" on the B&C stock.
    I would assume the individuals that replaced their 12 FV stocks for more rigid stocks did the same thing so an 'available 12 FV discarded stock' would also be missing both the hidden mag and the 'thingy'.

Who knows, sparks1 might get lucky and find one with the 'L shaped thingy' if he is willing to switch to a hidden mag.

Lots of hunting rifles use hidden mags.
    Some rifles feature drop bottoms in the mag as a convenience to quickly clear the rifle of unfired cartridges.
    The same feature on one of my Remington 700s also allows the shooter to drop the contents of the mag inadvertently by pushing a finger forward against the trigger guard.
    The 12 FV and my 10 FP have solid bottom stocks that can only be cleared by using the bolt to extract unfired rounds. That could either be an inconvenience or a protection against a fumble finger shooter.
    Savage, at least, has a 3-position safety that allows you to put the safety into the middle position and operate the bolt with a trigger safety protecting the rifle from firing.
    Last edited by CFJunkie; 12-01-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: corrected an incomplete sentence

Basic Member
    You don't have to have the L thingy...you can use dabs of epoxy putty in the corners to hold to the mag in...they will pop out later with a screwdriver...

Basic Member
    I'd find a Boyd's stock that fits the need. Fairly inexpensive and nicely done. If you need a good recoil pad order one of the optional ones. The standard Boyd's one is just kind hard rubber.

Basic Member
    Nothing really wrong with a Boyd's...other than no pillars and the buttpad you mentioned. But they are *NOT* lightweight...