Thread: Savage 111 .270 it isn’t a shooter .

Savage 111 .270 it isn’t a shooter .

Just bought it new . Long story short. I can barely make paper @50yds adjustments are all the way out . @100yds no paper . Change scopes , put a DNZ one peace mounts on , 4 different types of ammo 130gr. And 2 different shooters . Same results . Bullets are keyholes . Look like they start @25yds . No keyhole shape 10yds . @10yds dead center , @25yds about 8 high and 6 to right . @50yds barely paper @100yds no paper . That being said the 7m we also sited in is sub moa@ 100yds. Crown of barrel appears defect free . All mounts and rings are locktite and torqued . Action screw where check and was torqued also .

Basic Member
    Normally I would recommend trying different bullet weights because different rifles prefer different weight bullets, but 130 grain factory ammo should have a higher velocity than the 140 and 150 grain alternatives for a .270 and that velocity should definiately be stabilizing the factory ammo with a 1:10 twist.
    I suspect you have a barrel problem.
    You might check the twist to see if the rifling is 1:10 twist that the specs say it should be but even if the twist is in spec, you still could have a problem with your barrel.
    I would photograph the keyholes and attach the pictures to your note to Savage. Their website makes that easy to do.
    The one time I sent data to them to document a problem and ask for advice, they had me ship the rifle back to them and they took care of the problem.

Basic Member
    if that thing is new, send it back. There is obviously a problem if bullets are key holing.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Basic Member
    If you can get Savage to define the problem for you, please share it with us when you get the rifle back. They never want to divulge what they have done.
    Good luck

Basic Member
    Late last year, Savage sent back my 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor with a worksheet that showed that they reamed out the chamber and included the amount in thousandths.
    A few years ago, a friend got back a new 10 FCP-K .308 rifle from Savage because they explained that the scope mounts on the original receiver were drilled off center.

Those two instances would lead me to believe that Savage divulges what they have done at least now and then.

Basic Member
    Good to know. That type of info can help all of us.
    Now we need to get them to recall all those off kilter scope base holes and give us new actions. LOL
    No, that might put Burris signature Z sales in trouble.