Thread: I need your opinions on scopes

I need your opinions on scopes

Hello all,
    I need some help with choosing a good scope for my Savage axis 6.5 creedmor. It came with a Weaver 3x9 and I'm not a fan of it. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to scopes I want to make 500 plus yard shots but I don't want to break the bank. I understand you get what you pay for so I thank all y'all in advance for your assistance.

Depends entirely on the use you intend to put the rifle to.

Hunting, extreme long range, silhouette, a compromise of all or the above? And where are you hunting? Woods, fields, plains. How many seconds do you typically get between spotting game and needing to take the shot.

For hunting I like the Nikon Prostaff and Monarch scopes. Good glass at a reasonable price for the "sight-it in and don't futz with the turrets thereafter" hunter.

If you want a mil-dot or MRAD that you chase the turrets up and down each shot you'll need the input of others.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Use and budget....what are they? For hitting human sized targets at 500 yards it really does not take that much of a scope...a cheap 4-12 Nikon Buckmaster would work. If you want to hit smaller objects a fixed SWFA SS scope in 12x or 16x is a great way to go. I also like my Vortex Diamondback tactical in 4-16x44. Either option will have you at $325 and lower.

I use NightForce Bench Rest Scopes for competitions and hunting! There hard to beat for the money!

I have owned March, US Optics, Zeiss (which are good), Vortex (my second choice), and a few of the rest of them.

For hunting, I would get the 8x42 BR model as it has a lighted Reticle. Great low light scope. You could pick one up off one of the Gun Sites for a very reasonable price.

What I like the most, I don't have to wear "ANY" glasses whatsoever. I am having to use reading glasses just to type this reply!

Good Luck, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Thanks for all y'alls input, I decided on a vortex-crossfire-ii-6-24x50mm. I'm newiesh to rifle shooting. I've hunted for years but nothing past 200 yards and the idea of reaching out past 500 yards just seems appealing , I'm sure I will need more of y'all's input as I change out the stock and replace the Barrell.
    God bless!