Thread: Questions on Model 99's various 'Models'

Basic Member

Questions on Model 99's various 'Models'

Being I am fairly new to reading and investigation about the various 99 models, I'm wondering what is the difference between a "light weight and feather weight" model. I see in the "99 Characteristic" guide on the 1899 and 99 models, that the E, F, and G Models were offered in either a light weight or feather weight offering. What differs between the light and feather weight models? I assume what differs them from other models is the diameter/weight of the barrel, just a guess. I looked at a 99 recently at a local gun show that according to the serial number (320xxx) it was made in 1929. It is in 250/3000 caliber with checkered pistol grip stock with a checkered Schnoble forearm. It is a takedown model. Being the info on the "Characteristic" guide that indicates that everything from the 99H model on down doesn't match the 99 I was looking at and prior made models F and above doesn't either-would I be looking at a G Model? Took date of manufacturer and gun description into account.

Rifle is in very good condition, a lot better than most I have seen. No drill or tap on receiver, original buttpad. Has Stith scope mount and 4X period scope mounted. Original rear sight available. I talked with owner for a spell, but didn't buy. I know where he lives (fairly close), but unavailable phone number. Wanted to check on gun before buying. Good chance he still haves it as 99's aren't a big seller in my area, ie. not used for deer hunting. More of a collector purchase. Is there a post or site that gives what years various models of 99's were manufactured/offered or is information best obtained using the serial number? Any info much appreciated.

Basic Member
    Go to this sight for Ser# info. http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

If the price is right I'd get it. Those Stith mounts are worth a lot since they are so rare. $300+

Another good source of info is "The History of the Savage 99" by D.P. Murray. I got my copy on E bay.

Basic Member
    I did get the date of manufacturer from the savage99.com website. I was wondering about the years Savage produced certain models, when they produced a model, dropped a model and started another. Did they overlap certain models within a certain time span, ie. produce it for a while, drop it, then produce again or were there certain years when one was started and dropped, not to be produced again. I read a post on this forum by Mad Dog titled "What Model 99 Do I Have" that gave sort of a chronological history of the 1899/99 and gave some serial number ranges of certain models and a few years of manufacturer, but not real specific years when one model was started and dropped. I suppose by running serial numbers and using the 'serial number chart', sort of a year range could be figured out, but some good written info would be a lot easier to get things figured out.

Was also wondering about what books gave good concise info. "The History of the Savage 99" by Murray shows in one download on Amazon to be out of print with a single copy of $1225 and in another a paperback version for $50. Not sure about either-forget the $1225. One of the info sites here on the forum shows another book besides Murray's book, "A Collectors Guide to the Savage 99" by David Royal. Will have to check out both books on eBay and Abe's Books besides Amazon. Hesitate to buy books unless I know they fulfill the info I'm looking for. Laying down anything more than $25 plus, I've been burned before as to content that interests me. That was a question I was wondering also, what books available gave the best info on the 99 as far as models, calibers, years produced, various characteristics of certain models, etc.

Basic Member

Reference book

I've just read David Royal,s book. It has a lot of info and plenty of pictures. Sadly enough, most of it revolved around collector rifles. I have an extra copy if you'd like one.