Being I am fairly new to reading and investigation about the various 99 models, I'm wondering what is the difference between a "light weight and feather weight" model. I see in the "99 Characteristic" guide on the 1899 and 99 models, that the E, F, and G Models were offered in either a light weight or feather weight offering. What differs between the light and feather weight models? I assume what differs them from other models is the diameter/weight of the barrel, just a guess. I looked at a 99 recently at a local gun show that according to the serial number (320xxx) it was made in 1929. It is in 250/3000 caliber with checkered pistol grip stock with a checkered Schnoble forearm. It is a takedown model. Being the info on the "Characteristic" guide that indicates that everything from the 99H model on down doesn't match the 99 I was looking at and prior made models F and above doesn't either-would I be looking at a G Model? Took date of manufacturer and gun description into account.

Rifle is in very good condition, a lot better than most I have seen. No drill or tap on receiver, original buttpad. Has Stith scope mount and 4X period scope mounted. Original rear sight available. I talked with owner for a spell, but didn't buy. I know where he lives (fairly close), but unavailable phone number. Wanted to check on gun before buying. Good chance he still haves it as 99's aren't a big seller in my area, ie. not used for deer hunting. More of a collector purchase. Is there a post or site that gives what years various models of 99's were manufactured/offered or is information best obtained using the serial number? Any info much appreciated.