Thread: My Solution For Loose Fitting Flip Caps

Talking My Solution For Loose Fitting Flip Caps

This is the solution I came up with not wanting to use tape or buy a product to use. The caps I used are Vortex and they went on a Vortex scope, the objective cap fits very snug but the cap for the eye bell was quite loose and required two hands to open. First I decided to build up some material for the cap to fit over a little more tightly, for this I used a .5" wide Ranger Band. The cap was still a two hand cap... so I added a second band roughly 1.25" wide and rolled the band starting at the back and rolling it towards the Objective lense until I had clearance for the rubber sleeve on my Vortex cap. Then once positioned where you want the cap just roll the band back over the rubber sleeve. It's not the most beautiful repair and it's not hidden like tape is however it is very solid and worked well for my needs. Hope this helps at least one other person. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KZsD1w1n8TbFzAtv6

Update:
    I have since added one of these to the objective end since the addition of a sunshade also provided a loose fit. I also went back and cleaned up the edges on my original band and turned both bands inside out to hide the mold marks. Just figured I would share in case anyone was wondering if this would work for an objective lense. I also had a problem with the eye bell flip cap spanking the scope(don't worry it likes it) every time i opened it so I put a small cone shaped rubber foot for an old aquarium air pump under the band which almost completely silenced the cap.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tf9XWnUJBunaKeza7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVx1ewgtcRb46W5e9

I just use a few wraps of black electrical tape around the scope as needed if I have a loose fitting one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I just use a few wraps of black electrical tape around the scope as needed if I have a loose fitting one.
    This is exactly what I've done on my only scope with flip caps.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Yea that seems to be the most common solution and i'm sure it works fine, I was just looking for something that wouldn't leave a sticky residue or sweat in hot sun. Have plenty of bands and they worked well for me. Thanks for sharing your solutions and if anyone has come up with anything else it would be interesting to hear what you came up with. I know there's a tape made by 3M that isn't really adhesive that's popular.