Thread: Rangefinding bino....

Basic Member

Rangefinding bino....

What is your experience with them. Any to stay away from? Any that are good that are flying under the radar. I have played with the vortex fury and was pretty impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The only one ive used is the Leica with the 15x56 binnocs. A few guys in a camp near ours have those and like them.
    I know another guy with the Swarovski with the 10x42s but haven't tried those. I personally feel better served with 2 separate units.
    First off excellent stand alone rangefinders are available in the $500 or less category, and very good large binnocs can be bought reasonably as well today making a total package much more affordable. They do have one advantage, in that it's always there while your glassing. That said, ranging is as a rule a once and done situation, and from that point corrections are made by observing hits.
    Rangefinder techknowledgy has advanced very rapidly over the past few years. Im not so sure the actuall ranging aspect has improved much, but added features some seem to like are now available in rangefinders. So that could become a downside to owning a combo unit as well. We tend to use much larger glasses than those offered in the package units, which would make for a very expensive rangefinder if you opted to at some point to do the same. Just some things to consider before making any decisions.
    I can see them being more usefull for a varmint hunter however where the binnoc power isn't as important.

Basic Member
    Had a guy i know get some said he was ranging deer at around 1,000. that is farther than i want to shoot

Basic Member
    They will be used mainly for hunting. I have a spotting scope I carry with me. I think it would make ranging a elk or deer easier bc you wouldn’t have to find them twice. Also my current range finder is a 6x so a 10x should provide a more accurate range.

Glad you brought this thread. I have been looking into them myself. I am a walker and prefer to carry as little weight as possible. I already wear a small binocular (8 x 26) and rather than a seperate rangefinder I am considering a rangefinder/bino combination.

I'm not planning on stretching past 400 yards in any circumstances, but where I am sitting this year at dusk I have a 350 yard opportunity. And for varmints and coyote it would also be handy.

One that has my eye is the Nikon Lazerforce (10 x 42). I have a Nikon Ocean Pro (red illuminated bearing compass binocs) that have been rode hard and used wet. The LED finally honked out and I sent them back to Nikon for service (well past the 25 year mark) and they sent me a brand new Binoc. I like that! I also use their scopes and have owned FAS2 and FE 35mm cameras, many Nikkor lenses (and currently a S9100 Coolpix digital camera) and all have been without fault.

I'm afraid my wallet won't stretch to Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss levels.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I need to look through some nikons I have had good luck with them in the past as well.