Thread: Click or Beam Style Torque Wrench?

Click or Beam Style Torque Wrench?

Looking for a torque wrench for torquing action screws and eventually mounting a scope or 2. I have heard good and bad about the wheeler, beam style wrenches never need calibration and are generally more accurate however not quite as convenient as you need to always be able to read the dial. I never do any maintenance in the field it is almost all done on a workbench at home. So what are your experiences and recommendations? I am currently looking at either the Wheeler Fat Wrench or the Performance Tool M195 with a set of bits.

Also if I could afford a Wiha, CDI, Snap-On, or one of the more expensive makes I would go for better. however I am looking for something for ~$50 or less for occasional use.

Basic Member
    Beam style are superior, they never go out of calibration and they never lie.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I've used a beam type for several years with good results. Try " Modern Bike" good quality, cheep.

Buddy

Basic Member
    Click is just so easy to use, especially on the multiple lightweight screws for a scope. It's not like we need perfect readings. I think even cheap "precision" tools seem to be good these days...but not built as tough as the truly good stuff.

just make sure it is inch pounds.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I get by with a Tekton #24320 1/4" drive. They run around $40. No complaints and is good for small jobs like rings and action screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I have never really like the beam style myself, always preferred the click type.
    However, I have a proto dial indicating in-lb torque wrench that I like pretty well. I use it because I already had it. I originally bought it to measure rolling torque on a set of bearings where you have to measure and set preload. Since it is the only thing I have that can measure in-lbs, using it on my guns seemed like a no brainier.

Basic Member
    I have the wheeler fat wrench and it works great. Just set it for what torque you want and listen for the click.

Basic Member
    I've had the Harbor Freight one for several years. Works fine. https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...nch-61277.html
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I found a used Snap-On click style for less than $50 and went with that. Quality brand and the torque value can be tested and calibrated at home, it won't be ISO precision but close enough. Most of the inexpensive ratchet styles start at 20 in/lb however I like vortex scopes and they recommend 17 in/lb so I needed something a little lighter. Any of the cheaper beam styles seem to be prone to breaking according to online comments and are less convenient but more accurate however precision isn't really required for my purposes.