Thread: 112 series J Varmint single shot no fire problem

Basic Member

112 series J Varmint single shot no fire problem

I've got this 112 J in 220S that I've had for maybe 20 years bought used. Walnut stock, clean. Been using it lately and notice that once in a while after I close the bolt, the trigger doesn't work. I'm thinking the firing pin has already been released because I have to re-cock it. Trigger is set very light so no surprise. What do I have to do to get rid of this issue? Luckily nothing has gone off during loading and there haven't been any slam fires.

How do I check the throat of this rifle for erosion?

Hornady 55gr V-Max factory ammo seem to shoot pretty good at 3550fps on the chronotach. But I'm not getting good ES or SD with 3031 or 4895 reloads at that velocity. Any better ideas?

To test, apply force to the back of the trigger while operating the bolt then dry fire. If it does not FTF, then apply this fix. Increase the trigger tensioning screw to get better sear engagement.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Assuming it's a factory trigger... Your trigger may or may not have three screws, but this still applies. You'll want to adjust the trigger pull weight screw on the side to increase pull weight.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ent-Procedures
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for that trigger link. Fairly certain it's a factory trigger, but I'll find out today when I pull it out. That's what it probably needs, its set to light.

Basic Member
    OK, the trigger pull weight screw is missing. That spring is just sitting loosely in the hole. Guess I'll have to find a screw. I can see what it's doing, the sear is just going past the notch sometimes while closing the bolt. Lucky I haven't had any fires closing the bolt, I'll have to get it fixed before I use it again.

Basic Member
    Actually I think I'll just order up a new SAV-2 trigger for the thing.

Team Savage
    Nurmic may have the screw, but I'll bet they are not an unusual thread, good hardware storem should have something that will work.

Basic Member
    If I am not mistaken there is a hole in the center of that screw for the bent end of the spring to rest in. A hardware store won’t have that.

Best regards

Three44s

Yep, hole in the screw and the top side that contacts the wire has grooves in it every 90* (quarter turn) for the wire spring to sit into.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I could probably find a set screw that would fit at the local store and drill a hole in it then the dremel to notch it. But I've already ordered the SAV-2 for the thing. Got a box of Nosler 55gr Varmageddon Bullets for $1, the trigger was $147 and they had a coupon for $15 off at $150 so I got a $16 box of bullets and free shipping.

Think it's a normal thread size like 4-40 or 6-32? I'll check.

Basic Member
    Well, now, doesn't that beat all. I went upstairs to get a cup of tea and on the way down I see a little dark set screw sitting on the floor, and it's got a hole and notches in it. It must have been set so light that it finally fell out and when I pulled the rifle out of the stock yesterday it fell on the floor and I never heard it. Anyhow I stuck it back in making sure I got a full thread engaged through and it works fine. I never noticed this FTF before so that must be it. It's actually not a bad trigger, but I'm sure the SAV-2 may be better, we'll see. Gave me an excuse to spend money which I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Basic Member
    Dog T-

Call Rifle Basix first before ordering the Sav 2. Ask them if the trigger wiggles side to side.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Dog T-

Call Rifle Basix first before ordering the Sav 2. Ask them if the trigger wiggles side to side.
    I've already got it. I guess I'll find out.

Basic Member
    The SAV-2 trigger is no more loose than the original and I could probably tighten it up with a brass shim between the trigger itself and the housing under that pin if it even bothers me. I am however having a lot of trouble getting the thing adjusted but I haven't played with it much. I did call them and they said just play with the sear and trigger pull weight adjustments. They sure put a lot of glue on the overtravel and safety screws. I had to remove some of it.