Thread: need help with a scope

need help with a scope

so i bought a savage axis chambered in 30-06 springfield 3 years ago never had a problem until recently with the scope my elevation maxed out when i was trying to bore sight it in at 100 yards the scope i have came with the gun and is a 3-9x40mm weaver scope i dont believe that the gun is under warranty anymore i have a backup scope if i need to replace it but i would rather not unless its a last resort the rings and mounts have never been changed or touched since i took it out of the box either. the bore sight shows up below the 3rd mill dot and any attempt to lower the elevation just keeps lowering the bore lazer. any help is appreciated if this post is in the wrong area i apologize and can you direct me to where i need to repost it if needed any help is appreciated thank you for helping me in advance

Basic Member
    Try tapping on the turrets with the back of a screwdriver. I would guess it got dropped/smacked, might be junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Try tapping on the turrets with the back of a screwdriver. I would guess it got dropped/smacked, might be junk.
    I was going to suggest that but wanted somebody else to say it . Most of those package scopes are not really that durable . If you don’t want to use your other scope and are a budget I would recommend a Bushnell Banner 3-9-40 which should be able to get for under 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say "since it was out of the box" did you, at that time, tighten down the scope base and rings?

It has been my experience not to trust ANY factory installed scope mount and rings unless the base was integral to the receiver. I have found many had at least one loose base screw; some more than one.

It's an easy check.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I just bought a Remmy 270 for a backup . The scope that came with it had a loose base and the scope tube was bent or at least I think . No matter how I leveled it the cross hairs were never straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe your "bore sighter" is broken or out of whack?
    Try pulling the bolt and putting the rifle in a cradle or rest. You can prop it up in towels sand bags or just about anything to hold it steady.
    Then look down the bore of the barrel at a distant object and keep the object centered in the bore. Keeping the rings of light reflected down the bore concentric is a pretty good way to make sure you have the object centered. Then without moving the rifle look through the scope and put the crosshairs on the object. Check back and forth looking between the scope and the bore until you have it centered.
    That's how I have always bore sighted a rifle and it gets me really close.
    Then I shoot one shot at 100 yards from a rest, realign the rifle with the bullseye after recoil from the shot and without moving the rifle adjust the crosshairs to the bullet hole. After that I fire a 3 shot group and make the tiny final adjustments as necessary.

Then again maybe your scope crapped out, but I have seen plenty of "bore sighter gadgets" that weren't worth a hill of beans.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I've never found a bore sighter that works worth a hill of beans, and I've tried more than a few over the years. I do all my bore sighting using the method BHJ outlined above because hands down it's what works the best. Only downside of this method is that it doesn't work with all types of rifles.

I still own a bore sighting tool, a Bushnell Professional Bore Sighter which is a collimator-style, but I only use it for testing scopes to verify that they are tracking correctly.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

BHJ hit nail on the head.

Sell the boresighter for some beer and just take out the bolt and look down the barrel at 25 yards at a target.

Sandbag the rifle and adjust the scope turrets U/D L/R to align at 25 yards looking through action and down bore at a target.

Shoot 3-5 rounds, adjusting between shots and then take it out to 100 yards on paper for final alignment.

This also works with AR15's / AR10's just use upper receiver on sand bags (detach from lower receiver).

Basic Member
    Have you tried to see where the rifle shoots at 25 yards??

You can also try re-centering the scope. If you have a hand held mirror, place it against the end of the scope. Then, look through the eye piece. You should see two sets of cross hairs. Make the necessary adjustments until the two sets become one.

I usually remove the scope to check for loose screws, and re-center it before re-mount. Doing so puts the crosshairs in the center of the scope where I am less likely to run out of adjustment.

Doesn't placing a mirror against the front of the scope block all the light from getting in the objective lens end(?)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

No. You don’t place your eye against the eye piece when looking through. Sorry, I should have made that clear.