Thread: Loosening Action Screws?

Loosening Action Screws?

So, I recently returned from a successful Wyoming Antelope hunt. Got home and put the .308 into the gun safe knowing I would pull it soon to clean.
    I also upgraded the scope, so this last Sunday I pulled it from the gun safe to clean and mount the scope. Putting it in the gun vice I noticed a bit of play in the front of the action. Looked down and saw that the front action screw was gone. Oh yeah, Model 10, wood stock, blind staggered mag, bottom release. I have ordered replacement bolts and have done a good bit of reading on here about loosening/missing action screws. Just wondering why this is a issue?
    Also, the manual does say the sequence and procedure for tightening, but it doesn't have torque specs. 35in/lbs?
    And would a bit of blue locktite help them not coming loose?

I use red fingernail polish on all gun screws and have never had one to come loose. Think of it holding like red loctite but breaking loose like blue loctite.

As far as torque goes, play around with torque from 20 to 40 ip and see where the sweet spot is for your rifle. I have some that like light torque and others that like it heavy .
    Jester

Installing pillars in a wood stock gives the screw something rigid to but up against. A wood or soft plastic stock will compress allowing the screw to vibrate loose. Pillar installation is easy as is skim bedding. A little prep goes a long way and inexpensive J-B Weld can be used effectively.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Mine is double pillar bedded.

with metal pillars? Are you torquing your screws to any certain inch poundage?.

Well, no I didn't. Previously I just tightened them. That's why I asked in my OP.

Basic Member
    Blue Loctite (242). Won't hurt a thing and comes loose when you need it to. Never tried the fingernail polish.

Also, clean screw threads pretty good. I don't go crazy degreasing but turn screws while pinching with paper towel or something similar. Clean screw holes of oil and crud. I use q-tips.

Basic Member
    You shouldn’t need any loctite or other adhesives. Especially if it’s pillar bedded. Clean the threads up good and tighten to 45 inch pounds and you’ll be fine. Many people over tighten fasteners which actually cause them to loose their elastic state and go into a plastic state. After that happens they’ll never quit stretching and will always come loose and gradually get longer until they snap in a worse case scenario.

...... and the threaded holes get altered as well making for a loose fit.

Basic Member
    Here's an interesting article on torque tuning a Savage Action. http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.