Thread: Eldx bullets in a shorty 270

Eldx bullets in a shorty 270

Hi all. I'm trying to find a bullet that's not so destructive. The wife's model 11 270 wsm is a amazing shooter but the bullets cause so much damage. I've used nosler bt, sst,and inter bond hornadys. Omg a mess, I use the 162 eldx hornadys in my 7/300 wby and it leaves a nice wound channel and drops game very humanly. Only thing that's stopping me from picking up some is that her rifle is crazy sensitive to loads. Took me a long time to get it shooting ragged holes at 100 before I got the load nailed down. I don't want to go thru all of it again. If it will just grenade like the others do in this rifle. Thanks
    Last edited by bushwackr; 11-20-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Wrong model

I haven’t used that exact bullet but I’ve killed seven animals with the 143 ELD-X in 6.5mm at impact velocities as high as 2900 FPS and haven’t had any under or over expansion problems. I know others have killed scores more with the same bullet. Admittedly I have hit a few in the shoulders, and in that case it doesn’t matter what bullet you’re using, you’re going to see some destruction, but double lungs, through the ribs, quartering, neck shots, all have been solid performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying you've tried the 145 Grain Hornady ELD-X in .270?? And it is the one that grenades on you? Just Curious... The only other bullet that I personally can recommend is the Barnes TTSX 130 grain bullet. It won't grenade on you...

No it can just be a rib bone hit and the bullets totally disintegrate. Have to find a more solid projectile

I’m not surprised the SST and BT’s do that but the InterBond should hold together. Maybe that’s why Hornady stopped making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I haven't tried the eldx yet in the 270 but that's my next step, I tried the barnes but I could never get it to shoot where I think it's good. I've got all the other to do it. This rifle is in love with 4831ssc. Seems like it works the best off all the powders at my diaposal

Quote Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
    No it can just be a rib bone hit and the bullets totally disintegrate. Have to find a more solid projectile
    Barnes TTSX 130 is the only one that will hold together well when going thru bone (That I am aware of)... To be honest, I wish they would make one in a 140 grain or higher...

I may be able to slow the round down but then accuracy goes away. The barrel likes them just on the lower side of to much.

No I haven't tried the eldx yet in the 270 but that's my next step, I tried the barnes but I could never get it to shoot where I think it's good. I've got all the other to do it. This rifle is in love with 4831ssc. Seems like it works the best off all the powders at my disposal
    I tried the 145 eld-x when I still had my .270 and it shot very well in my opinion. I never took any game with it however. Bummer that the Barnes doesn't shoot the way you want it to... I know the Barnes bullets like at least a .05 jump.

If I remember correct I couldn't load them that long because the mag box wouldn't let me. I played with them a little just off the lands but cant remember how it worked

hmmm.... Strange. The Barnes like more jump than the ELD style bullets do. You should have more room in the magazine with the Barnes bullets then you do with the long skinny ELDs. I'd say try the 145 ELD-X and see if you get the accuracy you want. However, you'll still probably have an issue with it fragmenting when hitting rib or shoulder.

I had magazine problems when I tried to load them a few thousands off the rifling. I looked at my load data notebook. The best grouping I could get was a touch over an inch at 100, with the noslers for example will put them .430 at 100. 5 shot group. I never tried the tsx on game because I wasn't satisfied with the grouping. Maybe I'm just to picky and should try them. She usually never has to shoot over 150ish yds from the shack.

She usually never has to shoot over 150ish yds from the shack.
    The TTSX will work fantastically at that range for just about anything you want to shoot at... I'm a group shooter with my .260 Remington (as it's my long range precision steel ringer and varmint slayer) and I want my groups as small as they can be... For my hunting rifle (30-06) if I can shoot 1 MOA out to 300 yards, then that's all I'm going to need. 200 yards is a long shot in the timber I usually am hunting in.

There's another bullet out there that I forgot about... Maybe look at this one?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...ail-box-of-100

I seen those but I wish they had 130s but might have to try

I only started using the ELD-X this season and just put a whitetail buck down with one at 160 yards last week (143 Gr 0.264" at about 2,640 MV). Hardly any entrance wound, took a rib entering just behind the foreleg and another rib leaving, and also the edge of the off-side scapula. 1-1/2" dia. exit wound. Definitely held together long enough to drop the deer. Massive hemorrhaging, mostly from the far-side lung.

I hunt for meat and the ELD-X looks like a winner for my needs.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I agree , very good bullets. I personally will use them in everything I can

Basic Member
    I always liked nosler partitions although they tend to be less accurate for me but good enough for deer range. They are tougher

the solid copper stuff wont or i should say shouldnt blow up.

Although you may like the lighter bullets, the heavier 140-150 grain stuff may hold up better

Basic Member
    140 gr Sierra GK. Might be an option. I've used them for a couple seasons, mushrooms perfect and I haven't lost much meat due to the bullet coming apart.