Thread: An African Savage.

An African Savage.

Hi guys, I am based in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.

I learnt to hunt as a young boy chasing birds, rabbits an the odd buck in the bush and farmlands with an old Savage 22/410 combo gun, 22 Savage bold action and followed by a Savage bolt action in 22 Hornet.

I am about to acquire a neat Model 99 in 250 Savage. ( Serial # 513200 dated 1948). I intend using this rifle for varmints, Duiker, Impala, Nyala, Blesbok,Fallow Deer,Warthog,Bushbuck and maybe Kudu......we will see. I mainly walk and stalk in the Eastern Cape bush. I am also a very passionate fly fisherman.

I have joined this site with the hope to learn more about reloading for this particular caliber and to share my experiences. I will be on the lookout for a Savage 22/410 and also a model 99 in .300 to purchase in the future. The combo guns do come on the market from time to time but I expect a long wait until I find a .300.

Rgds,

MJ

Basic Member
    Hello from central Kentucky

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome!

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a Savage Combo (Model 24 at least) in either .250 Savage or .300 Savage. I do believe a .30-30 was made, and .222 Rem and even .223 Rem. I don't know that the action is strong enough for either of the Savage chamberings. But I have been wrong before.

The Model 389 O/U was made for Savage and went up to .308 Win/12 ga., so maybe you could hook up with one of those?

The .250 Savage (aka ".250/3000") is a nice cartridge. Here's a load data link for Nosler. Different weight bullets on the different tabs.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/250-3000-savage/
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

The 250 Savage is an excellent cartridge and should be a lot of fun to shoot in the 99.

There will be be a number of folks here who can provide load data. You can also find a whole bunch of loads here: http://ammoguide.com/?catid=119.

As a heads up, this is a subscription site with an annual fee that is cinsistent with the orice for a box of inexpensive rifle ammunition and well worth it. (No, I am not the owner if the site, I just think it is an excellent source for reloading data and other info.)

Welcome
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along