Thread: help me get this Model 19 NRA back in shape

help me get this Model 19 NRA back in shape

hi there,

I recently started working on a model 19 NRA that was passed down from family a long time ago. I was just able to source a new stock, because somebody bubba'd the crap out of the old one. it looks like they tried to make a pistol grip with some bondo or wood putty or something.

They also hacked away at the wood behind the receiver and installed a flip-up peep sight. I'm not sure of the manufacturer as it's not marked (even on the bottom of the base - I checked). The front sight is a Redfield.

I have two original magazines for it, which I'm pretty excited about as they seem to be pricey.

Any ideas on where I can source a rear sight without breaking the bank? The action and barrel of the gun seem to be in relatively good shape, considering how they've been stored for the past few decades - I think the protective layer of filth kept it from getting too bad. I'd really like to get this thing back to original or as period-correct as possible without hacking on it too much.

looking forward to shooting it soon!

Edit: the rear sight area has the two different-sized mounting holes. It looks like this takes either a No.5 or No.10 savage sight. I've scoured eBay and gunbroker with no success yet...

Basic Member
    Is that the peep that mount on the receiver?? If so they are hard to come by. #37 in the schematic.

Good luck with the project, glad you already found a replacement stock!

I found a site with 2 different sights. One that is like the schematic above and one that mounts on the side of the receiver. Post your email so I can send you a link to prevent someone beating you to it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Is that the peep that mount on the receiver?? If so they are hard to come by. #37 in the schematic.
    Negative. this one isn't factory. somebody cut into the original stock to get this thing mounted to the wood low enough to be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I found a site with 2 different sights. One that is like the schematic above and one that mounts on the side of the receiver. Post your email so I can send you a link to prevent someone beating you to it.
    That would be awesome - tiler84736@gmail.com - I really appreciate the help!

Sent you a link Vintage

Oh man. They are out of stock, sorry.

no worries - thanks anyway. I saw that site before as well. still on the hunt. I was able to at least get the front screw from that site, so it wasn't a total loss.

so after digging around a little more, it seems like the Lyman 42 should work for a rear sight. I found an old ad from Lyman saying as much. when I took the action out of the old stock to clean and transplant into the new stock, I found a set of screw holes on the side that are normally hidden.

can anyone verify that this should work? does anyone know the screw size that I'll need to mount the Lyman 42 to this?

thanks again.

edit: I know I'll have to clearance the stock a bit to allow everything to seat properly once it's placed back into the stock, but I think I'm ok with it - this gun doesn't have much bluing on it, no longer has the hacked up original stock, and I figure as long as I'm keeping it semi period-correct, it won't look too terrible. thoughts?

That was the site on the link I sent you. You wont find one of those easily. It is not the correct site but Lyman sells this for 22LR's now

90 MJT Target Receiver Sight

Basic Member
    I have that sight on my Model 23, .25-20, but they are scarce these days, too. That 90 MJT looks like a good option!

Basic Member
    I have a Lyman 42 SS on two different Savage 23 s and I have one more unmounted as yet. If you would like to work out a trade for the one you currently we should talk. The sight in your photo looks like a Lyman 103 and is a valuable sight. The sight you really want is the #5 Savage , l also have one for trade.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDSUSMC View Post
    I have a Lyman 42 SS on two different Savage 23 s and I have one more unmounted as yet. If you would like to work out a trade for the one you currently we should talk. The sight in your photo looks like a Lyman 103 and is a valuable sight. The sight you really want is the #5 Savage , l also have one for trade.
    You wouldn't happen to have a tang sight for am 1881 Marlin stashed someplace??!!:)

Quote Originally Posted by CDSUSMC View Post
    Definitely interested in a trade for the #5. Let's trade some more pictures and discuss somehow? I'm new to this sight - I don't see any way we can send private messages? Please shoot me an email - tiler84736@gmail.com.

Thanks!