I wanted a bolt action .22 to teach my kid (one that doesn't even exist at this point) proper rifle fundamentals, so I bought a used MKII TRR-SR. I know very little about .22s, I've been a center fire guy as long as I've been in the military.

Anyway, I was surprised to experience a TON of light primer strikes on my first range trip. Some ammo did a lot better than others. Gemtech was the best with occasional failure to fire but the rifle absolutely hated Eley (0/10 didn't fire). However, I shot all of those light primer strikes out of a 10/22 without a hiccup. Looking at the casings, the Savage leaves a light, thin line on impact. The 10/22 was a wider, deeper bar.

Ok, so maybe it's the firing pin. I called Savage and they sent two firing pins - not to me but to Cabelas because apparently they can't send a non-serialized, stamped piece of metal to me but has to go to a FFL. That's *special*. After replacing the firing pin, light primer strikes have continued.

What do I need to do to get a deeper strike on the casing? I thought bolt action rifles would be more reliable than semi-auto's. I'd like to make this rifle perform like it should.