Thread: Savage 99A Enigma???

Savage 99A Enigma???

So my Nephew has a 99A in .308 Win. that is somewhat perplexing. I was hoping someone on this forum could shed some light. The serial # puts the manufacture around the late 40's. The .308 Win. was not introduced until early 50's. It's a Factory/Savage barrel in .308 Win but the barrel length is 19 inches. The lever boss dose not have a Date/letter code stamped. Also the left side of the barrel shank has a letter "Q" stamped. I think what my Nephew wants to know is one, an accurate date of manufacture?Two Is this a gunsmith's basterdization or an early prototype that Savage used parts on hand? See photos below...….

Thankyou!
    CZVZ[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    You have a 99A made between 1971-1981. The B in the serial number counts as part of the serial number, so you're not just looking at the numbers per se.

That is a 99-A saddle gun. Fireball is right on the production years of that model. The date code on the lever boss ended in 1971 or 72. The Q stamped on the receiver ring is probably an inspection stamp, also rifle barrels are measured from the bolt face to the muzzle which from your pics it looks like 20". Your rifle sure looks factory original except for the sling stud. Very nice rifle.

Thanks, I knew this was the forum to get answers!

CZVZ

Basic Member
    From David Royal's book your serial number says it was built after Jan. 1974 and the stamping on the barrel also places it in the early 1970s. The 20" barrel length is that of the carbine model and the forearm should be about 10 13/16 long.