Thread: My names Tackdriver, and I'm a Savage Barrel Addict

Basic Member

My names Tackdriver, and I'm a Savage Barrel Addict

I was just running through the safe and doing inventory and I noticed I had the following set up ready to shoot:

6.5 Creedmoor Savage factory barrel on a ARC Nucleus, had the barrel for a year and haven't shot it yet.
    25-45 Sharps X-Caliber barrel on a Bighorn Sporter action, less than 25 rounds fired this year.
    284 Winchester X-Caliber on a Bighorn single shot action. Actually did shoot this one a lot this year and it shoots great.
    6mm Remington McGowen on a Savage action. Barely shot all year.
    22-250 X-Caliber on a Savage FV that I bought last in the black friday sales. Haven't shot it yet.
    25-06 second hand Shilen on a Shilen DGR. Great shooter, just finished off the last round of hand-loads.
    221 Pac-Nor on a Predator action. Phenomenal shooter.
    450 Bushmaster from Apache, another great shooter, but haven't shot it much.

Now in the past two weeks I got a little carried away.
    X-caliber had a good sale, 45% off, so I ordered a 1-7 twist 270 Winchester, because why not. Likely will replace the 25-06 barrel.
    This week MGM had a massive sale on their in-stock barrels. So I picked up a blued 6.5 Creedmoor, to replace the 6.5 Creedmoor factory savage barrel I haven't shot yet. And I picked up a 6mmBR barrel because I haven't had a 6mmBR in a long time. No plans for the MGM barrels really, but at $150 each, I couldn't say no.

That's not to mention I have a Shilen 204 Ruger barrel, 223 Savage Factory barrel, and 22-250 Factory barrel sitting on the shelf. And a Black Hole Weaponry 6x45mm barrel that I couldn't get to shoot great, but might re-visit someday.

And just from memory, I had a 6mmBR Pac-nor that I never should have sold. A 250 Ackley Pac-nor that I never should of sold. And 6mmAI that I'm glad I sold.

And I'm already planning on a 25 Creedmoor as soon as someone gets a reamer. Likely will replace the 6.5 Creedmoor that I have two barrels for and haven't shot. And there's an itch for a 222 Rem Mag barrel as well.......

So yeah, my name is Tackdriver and I have a Savage Barrel Addiction.

Basic Member
    Do you do your barrel work? or where the ones from X caliber finished barrels? what did they go for? i need to be on top of that

Basic Member
    A dear old friend told me several years ago when I started playing: "There is no end to it".
    He was right and I know what your going through LOL
    Jack

Basic Member
    My names Tackdriver, and I'm a Savage Barrel Addict

Thanks for sharing.

Isn't the insanity wonderful!?

Basic Member
    I suffer from the same addiction, maybe we should start a therapy group, SBA (Savage Barrel Anonymous)

Basic Member
    I only have 2 barrels laying around, and one that will be.
    I have a 7mm Rem Mag from a 111 Long Range Hunter, that I turned into a 7x57 Shilen barreled long range hunter.
    I have a 22-250 that I bought on one of the 12FV super sale/rebates just to have another barrel because my first 12FV 22-250 shoots 1/3 MOA. I traded the action to my brother because he needed a top bolt release and I didn't care so i got his bottom, that turned into a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 10T-SR barrel that I got from someone else.

I have a 6.5 PRC Proof carbon barrel on the way and plan to put it in a short action Bighorn, but if it doesn't work as well as I want in a short action, I might have to sacrifice my 110T SR in 300 WM (that I haven't shot) to use that action, stock, and magazine. So if the 6.5 PRC doesn't like the short action, I will have a long action ready to go and a 300 Win Mag barrel sitting on the shelf next to the 22-250 and 7mm Rem Mag.

If you decide to liquidate a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that is compatible with a Savage 10 BA Stealth, please let me know.