Thread: Model 11 308 switch Barrel two to three

Model 11 308 switch Barrel two to three

Can I switch barrel and bolt in this gun. I know it's probably been asked a thousand times and you believe I could do it myself or should I send it away thank you PS I'm not real bad with things but I'm not real good

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Can I switch barrel and bolt in this gun. I know it's probably been asked a thousand times and you believe I could do it myself or should I send it away thank you PS I'm not real bad with things but I'm not real good

Have a better question will be cheaper to buy Savage 223 or send it off and have someone change the barrel and action

Basic Member
    I have a "spare bolt" set up for 223, 221 etc. I switch barrels on a regular basis. A spare bolt will cost 100-150 bucks. Spare barrel 50-skys the limit. Tools will be 75-200 bucks. Spare rifle depending what you want may be 350-lots more.
    If two calibers will satisfy you then two rifles might be cheaper. If you catch the Savage "addiction" you will want to learn the tricks and never know how you will end up!

Basic Member
    It is not rocket science. You can do your own builds! Sending it out wastes money and you will appreciate your end result more by doing it yourself.

The biggest challenge in my opinion is changing the extractor and ejector parts with the ejector being the worst of the two. Buy separate and complete bolt heads from here used/ new whatever or elsewhere if you can.

What I mean is your 223 style vs the 308 size. The 223 head needs to include the long baffle back up head.

Having a complete bolt to switch to is nice for sure (a bit more expensive). All my builds were done with changing the head on the bolt and reusing the rest of the bolt.

The next challenge is magazines, either detachable or box type (internal). You might whip the rebarreling but have a single shot for a time while you work out a way to feed it but that’s ok. The easiest one is the detachable magazine. Just make sure you get the right replacement detachable.

243/308 detachables and those for the 223 family are easy to come by but the one for the 6/7mm BR series are not easy to find. I lucked out and found one!

You will need support to weave your way but this community is likely the best place on God’s green earth for it.

The learning will not stop at your first build but much of the apprehension will fade there!

Three44s